Washing machine drain diagram (California)

Users who are viewing this thread

tegnamo

Reaction score
Hello!

I currently have a wet vent setup as shown by the black lines in the diagram below (though as noted, the blue section may or may not connect to the same line).

21LtvItl.gif

The inspector came and wrote specifically in his notice "2 inch trapped fixture (A.W.) may not wet vent into 2 inch W.C. vent." I presume A.W. means automatic washer or something.

Does that effectively mean I must run a brand new dedicated drain line/vent for the washing machine? Or can I, per the red line I drew in the diagram, satisfy the code to grant venting to the washing machine and perhaps be okay? Or is there another method?

Running a new dedicated line from my second-story unit will definitely be involved. I want things to be correct and safe, but because the inspector didn't say what I SHOULD do, I feel like I have some unknown options which might be less involved but still satisfy code. And the inspector wasn't able to offer suggestions (understandable).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do not specify WHERE the toilet is, but if the washer drain flows past it, especially if it is on first floor, which would also be violation, it WILL suck the water out of the toilet when the washer drains and the "red line" will do NOTHING to prevent it. Given your drawing, and making an assumption that the toilet is out of view below everything else, the ONLY proper correction would be to install a "proper vent" for the toilet, since everything else is incorrect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks