Washing machine drain 7 feet above floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Can I rough a washing machine drain 5-7 Feet above the finished floor? This would be in an apt in NYC. I have read on this forum some citations saying it should not be more than 48 inches. I would include a standpipe of at least 18 inches, and use a 2-inch branch leading to a 4 inch stack. Roughing the drain at this height would allow access to the stack without damaging tile in a bathroom that it runs behind.

Is there any functional or code reason I should avoid this? I realize it may limit my selection of washing machines, but most I'm looking at seem to say they can drain 8 feet overhead.

Thanks!

DIY

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a code limit on the min/max of the standpipe height to the p-trap, but as long as the WM instructions say it can pump that high, at least functionally, it will work fine. They don't want the thing too low to prevent it from siphoning the WM.

I haven't looked in detail at the code.

Reach4

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, unlike UPC, IPC doesn't seem to specify a maximum height of the standpipe above the floor. You have to make provision for rodding somehow.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/washing-machine-standpipe.25717/#post-176628
802.4 Standpipes.
Standpipes shall be individually trapped. Standpipes shall extend a minimum of 18 inches (457 mm) and a maximum of 42 inches (1066 mm) above the trap weir. Access shall be provided to all standpipes and drains for rodding.​

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The reason the standpipe isn't allowed to be too tall is to ensure the velocity of the water from gravity when the pump shuts off doesn't just force enough water out of the trap so it ends up dry. But, if your trap is up high, it shouldn't matter as long as you can still get a snake into it if it needed to be cleaned out.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Interesting, thank you both. Yes the trap would need to be high as well for this to work, so the standpipe would not be unusually tall. The ceiling is about 8 feet, how much clearance do you think I need for the rodding? Would a cleanout in the standpipe be acceptable?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking a wye with a cleanout plug just above the U could do it. I am not a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks