Washing machine & dishwasher shared drain

Users who are viewing this thread

velosnow

Reaction score
My wife and I just made an offer on a vacation property and the current owner has removed the dishwasher and put a euro style washing machine in place instead, see listing pic below...

velosnow-01.jpg

If we purchase the place, we are going to replace the cabinets and are considering adding dishwasher back in the mix - probably an 18" one to save space.

That said, could a dishwasher and this washing machine share a drain under the sink? It looks like they ran the washing machine drain line to the disposer as you would for the dishwasher. Is it easy as adding a tee of some sort or more complicated? Any code issues to be aware of? This is a 3rd floor unit so I want this done right, thought I'd start here to see if I can safely do this or if I need a plumber.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have never heard of a washer using the disposer for a drain. We plumb those to a 2" p-trap with standpipe. It's draining through a 3/4" port on the disposer?
I suppose when the wall is opened up, you can add the 2" p-trap and standpipe for the washer and use the disposer for the dishwasher.
The kitchen sink has 2" pipe run to the santee and uses a 1.5" p-trap for the sink. You could cut in below the santee for the sink and add the drain for the washer. Both traps need venting.

Reach4

Reaction score
CO uses IPC 2018.

The IPC calls for 3 inch pipe to carry waste from a washing machine once combined with something else. If they made an exception, which they might, for a 2-inch pipe to carry a kitchen sink with disposal, laundry, and a dishwasher, I think the plumber would have to get into the wall, which may be fine. This will be a problem for a plumber I would think, but he may be aware of some local treatment that makes this OK.

I am not a plumber.

velosnow

Reaction score
I have never heard of a washer using the disposer for a drain. We plumb those to a 2" p-trap with standpipe. It's draining through a 3/4" port on the disposer?
I suppose when the wall is opened up, you can add the 2" p-trap and standpipe for the washer and use the disposer for the dishwasher.
The kitchen sink has 2" pipe run to the santee and uses a 1.5" p-trap for the sink. You could cut in below the santee for the sink and add the drain for the washer. Both traps need venting.
Thanks Terry, I've seen these washing machine & dishwasher setups often in other countries and never took the time to see how they plumbed them. More of a curiosity at the moment to see what common solutions might be. Of course stumbled across this video on YT and no clue if it would be appropriate here but found the tee connection interesting especially since it wasn't working for him.

I won't put too much effort into this quite yet as our offer deadline is still a few hours out still. The building does have laundry so we might just scrap this idea if we move forward anyway and go back to just a dishwasher. Just liked the idea of possible in unit laundry if it was handy and not too costly to get setup.

Here is the lone pic I snapped of the sink, the washer drain definitely appears to be going into the disposer.

velosnow-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
a few plumbing changes needed , btw no airgap needed for the clothes washer I see one on sink top. likely a 3 inch line if clothes washer is staying

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If the washing machine is connected to the air gap, I doubt it can handle the amount of water a washer can dump in a short time. It might overflow from the air gap into the sink. It might not be used. What is the pipe on the left that I marked.

washer-dishwasher.jpg

velosnow

Reaction score
If the washing machine is connected to the air gap, I doubt it can handle the amount of water a washer can dump in a short time. It might overflow from the air gap into the sink. It might not be used. What is the pipe on the left that I marked.

View attachment 73982
LOL, dig the 'what is this' label because I have the same question. May or may not get answered, 3 hours to go until our offer deadline hits.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Nothing there that would deter to turn down the deal. It’s all fixable.

velosnow

Reaction score
Welp, we're under contract so once we get a few other things sorted out I'll probably be back with a few more questions. Thanks guys!

Caorrymase

Reaction score
So, I'm no plumbing expert, but I've done a bit of DIY in my time. Adding a dishwasher back in sounds like a smart move. I'd say you could potentially tee off the washing machine drain, but you might want to check local codes just to be sure. Maybe consider consulting with a plumber to play it safe, especially since you're on the 3rd floor. Better safe than sorry, right? If you need any advice on appliances, I recently had a good experience with these folks at musiccityappliance.services. You may need their advice or professional opinion as well.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks