Washing machine and utility sink tie in question

Users who are viewing this thread

dannyd38

Reaction score
I am going to frame a wall in the laundry room so all the plumbing is out of sight. I want to tie in a washing machine drain and a utility sink drain into the main stack. The stack is currently a 3" copper line that I will be changing over to PVC. Should I use a sanitary t or a wye when connecting to the vertical main stack? Can I use the main as a vent or should I use an air admittance valve? The washing machine will be to the left of the stack and the utility sink to the right. Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

Attachments

• Laundry room 2.jpg
    Laundry room 2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,939
Last edited:

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Wow #1 you need a P-Trap. I can't imagine it smells to great where that washer discharge enters. Then you can tackle venting for the two fixtures there.

dannyd38

Reaction score
I understand everything concerning installing traps; I want to be sure to use the right fittings for the tie in. It smells fine, there is a rubber seal on top of the iron pipe preventing the sewer gas’s from escaping.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The washer requires a trap and vent as does the sink...the 3" copper line is not a vent it is a waste line....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I understand everything concerning installing traps; I want to be sure to use the right fittings for the tie in. It smells fine, there is a rubber seal on top of the iron pipe preventing the sewer gas’s from escaping.

That gray rubber piece is probably a splash guard, and is far from a seal. Regardless of whether you have odor or not, a trap is absoultely required by ALL codes. The washing machine standpipe is higher thatn allowed by code. An air admittance valve is not proper for a pumped waste source like a washer.

dannyd38

Reaction score
I call it a waste stack/vent line because it was used to vent the sink that was there since 1968 without any issues. I know every fixture needs a trap and needs to be vented. In the original post I asked what fitting is recommend tying into the 3” stack a wye or a sanitary T? I also asked if I could use an air admittance valve to vent the washer and sink. Can someone please just answer the questions and not point out the obvious things in the picture? I know to use the fernco fittings when transitioning from copper to PVC I am just not sure if I should use a 3x3x2 wye or sanitary T?

dannyd38

Reaction score
Thanks JIMBO!!

So my only vent option is to go to the roof and tie into the main vent, now for the proper fittings to use and I should be set!

Nate R

Reaction score
SanTees should be used to connect horizontal into vertical, Wye Combos are for vertical waste into horizontal.

Have you seen Terry's pic of proper rough plumbing of a washing machine standpipe? (Pic is work 1K words!)
Good to see you asking questions like that BEFORE tackling the work! :)

dannyd38

Reaction score
Thanks Nate!

I will be using SanTees and I found Terry's pic, I will mirror Terry's pic and somehow vent it to the roof.
Thanks for all the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks