Washing mach. 14' drain line to vent stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Rudyeb

Reaction score
I am installing a washing machine on the 2nd floor of a small converted barn. I would like to run the drain pipe to a vent stack that is approximately 14' away that is venting a first floor bath. I see that 8' seems to be the maximum run allowed to do this. If I install an air admittance valve along the 14' run to the stack would this work and be proper? I think I'll use a 3" pipe to drain.

Thank you,

Rudyeb

Reaction score
Got it. Thank you for the guidance. I have attached a photo of a different means of attack on this problem. My downstairs bath has not been working as I am doing the house area by area for now. I tore out the old vanity sink to see how and where it drained and how it was vented. Would I be okay to tap into the drain for the washer as shown in the photo? If so, can I use the vent that the sink is using or do I need to add another?

Attachments

• bath drain.jpg
    bath drain.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 145

Asktom

Reaction score
No, you need to tie in below the tee. The upstairs vent can hook up to the downstairs vent.

Rudyeb

Reaction score
I got it tying in below the tee but am not sure about the vent. Does the washer drain need a separate pipe to the sink vent or by using the sink drain line can it vent out the existing sink vent stack?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can tie vent lines together, but EACH trap needs to be vented. The general requirement is that you can tie vents together at least 42" above the floor, OR 6" above the flood plane of the highest one, whichever is higher.

Rudyeb

Reaction score
I've attached a sketch of how I think it's supposed to be done. Please correct if needed.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 153

Rudyeb

Reaction score
I was told I could tie it in to the sink drain with a tee below the sink drain tee. Please tell me what I need to do to do it all correctly.

Thank you,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks