washer vent, is this ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
but doesn't that create a wet vent? I thought wet vents were not allowed in most cases...

Pabs

FWIW I agree with you. What you drew is the same configuration as what Terry's picture shows (with the vent tee angle reversed, might want to check that.) It looks like #2 is allowed by code in many places though. Practically, HJ is probably correct that it is overkill to do the separation of the vents on the same floor level, but the venting capacity of the 3rd picture is greater than that of the 2nd anytime that the sink above is flowing.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
but doesn't that create a wet vent? I thought wet vents were not allowed in most cases...

Pabs

Some would argue that a wet vent IS the PREFERRED method....where it's use is appropriate. A bathroom group on one floor is appropriate. A washing machine does not qualify as part of the bathroom group, AND a washing machine + sink exceeds the DFU allowed on a wet vent (UPC). Note that wet venting a toilet is an allowed exception to the aformentioned DFU limit.

And, among his other admirable qualities, hj is also very practical. The truth is that the first design shown at the top of this long thread would probably work OK, with little or no problems over the long run. It has code issues, hence the thread that goes on like the energizer bunny!!

Terry Love

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For twenty years, I wet vented the laundry tray "over" the washer.
Yes, it does work.
But it no longer passes and inspection in many places.

So spend $6.00 more and pass your inspection the first time.
Now that's a no-brainer.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Over the years in these plumbing forums I've watched the software programs for plumbing illustrations get better and better over time.

Most of the time however the ones creating those images of plumbing are not licensed plumbers, or unlicensed!

I need to build a plumbing software to design plumbing systems for plumbers that is as simple as swinging a hammer, because I've seen some of the programs and they are just too involved if you're not computer inclined.

And most that say "Oh that's easy to use" is someone who has mastered the talent and has been using it for a long time.

Somehow, somewhere I'm going to get my crayons out and make this happen. I know I can.

Pabs

Reaction score
hey all.
thanks for the many tips! In the end I will go the overkill road.. that way I won't worry about it, plus I have the spare pipe (left overs from my Buddie's last reno)

one quick last question regading this set up... I bought a washer outlet box (2 valves and and an intake for the drain).
I've been reading online that it must/should be installed at 42". but my manual for the washer says the drain can be installed anywhere from 24" to 96". Since I'm stacking the machines if I put the box at 42 it will interfere with the dryer hose,, I have it set up right now at 32 inches (bottom of box).
anything wrong in doing it like that?

thanks again for all the help... I'll post some pics of the finish plumbing this week once I'm done!

Pabs

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks