Washer sub assembly stuck in frost free sillcock

Users who are viewing this thread

GW of Altanta

Reaction score
Took off the handle, packing washer, nut, and packing, and screwed off the stem. Only got out a small spring at the end - can see the washer assembly still at the end of the tube. Cannot get water pressure to blow it out, can't get a tool to reach in (about 8 inches) to pull on it. Any ideas (other than opening up the wall inside the house to replace)? Thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Often the long tube that it is supposed to be attached to will either rust away or split open from frost. Usually there is a stub that can be grabbed with the right size of coil spring. Screw a wood dowel into one end of the spring and push it into the hole. Turning the spring in one direction opens up the ID or the spring, while the other direction cinches down on it.

You might be able to do the same thing with a length of plastic pipe that has the right ID.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We normally replace a bad hosebib.
Cut the wall behind, and that will give you access. If you can find the exact length, you can thread a new one on. I don't count on that though. Most of the time, we are using a torch and solder to make up the length in the wall behind the hosebib.
You can pick up a repair panel to cover the hole in the wall, and the next time you need to replace the faucet, you're halfway there.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
In my case I have 5 hosebibs and had two spares, so when one of them gets fubar'd, I steal parts from another one. I finally ran out of spares and the parts from new ones don't match, so I replaced the one that was easiest to access and use the parts off it to fix the other one.

If I had known that is was junk I installed when I built the house, I would have put them in more easily accessible locations. I mean who'da thunk the innards would rust out?? One of these days I'll get fed up with them and install new quarter turn hosebibs and try not to burn down the house sweating them in.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
In my case I have 5 hosebibs and had two spares, so when one of them gets fubar'd, I steal parts from another one. I finally ran out of spares and the parts from new ones don't match, so I replaced the one that was easiest to access and use the parts off it to fix the other one.

If I had known that is was junk I installed when I built the house, I would have put them in more easily accessible locations. I mean who'da thunk the innards would rust out?? One of these days I'll get fed up with them and install new quarter turn hosebibs and try not to burn down the house sweating them in.

I agree frost free are a lot of trouble for nothing, They must be sloped to the outside, Home owners must remove the hose in the fall or they will freeze with water in the frost free tube and break, And most people over tighten the handle as water continues to come out long after the washer has hit the seat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks