Washer Standpipe Distance From Lav Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick Ruddle

Reaction score
I am in the process of roughing in my cabin in WV. I am far away from a plumbing inspection, but while the inspector was there today inspecting framing (he inspects everything but electrical), he said my laundry/lav drain was not correct. I was not there and the builder was relaying what he said (I will call him tomorrow), but stated that the distance between the washer standpipe and the lav drain exceeded 30". I have searched and could find nothing on a code that states that. Measurements deal with trap distance from stack drain, but nothing about distance from one trap to another.

I have done my research and even consulted with a plumber friend here in VA and this arrangement passed the smell test before I even began. I even sent him the photo today and he said it looked fine. The inspector didn't cite a code but only showed an illustration on his tablet to the builder. Can anyone offer any insight as to what he may be referring to? He said the lav drain would have to be disconnected from the 2" stack and plumbed down through the floor into the horizontal run.

Thanks in advance.

washer_drain.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
washer_rough_b.jpg

To pass an inspection, they should both get their own vent.
Most inspectors also want a wye or combo fitting when it's on it's back.

Rick Ruddle

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Haven't I vented the lav arm back to the stack vent? Any idea as to what the 30" he was talking about?

Bbradyc5

Reaction score
washer_rough_b.jpg

To pass an inspection, they should both get their own vent.
Most inspectors also want a wye or combo fitting when it's on it's back.

From laundry plumbing pic above, any issue with making the sink drain Sani-tee a cross sani-tee instead to allow connection to both a laundry and a bathroom sink that are back to back?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
MI is under the IPC, and the above picture runs afoul of an IPC requirement that when the laundry standpipe drain joins another drain, the combined drain needs to be 3". So that lower san-tee should be a 3x2x2 san-tee at a minimum, with a 3" drain through the plate.

That issue aside, since the laundry standpipe is individually vented, you could change the upper san-tee to a double fixture fitting for back to back sinks without introducing any new issues. The pipe above the double fixture fitting will vent both sinks.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks