Washer smells like rotten eggs

Users who are viewing this thread

planethunter

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am to the forum and am in need of some advice for my situation. Our contractor installed our washer the way the pix show and we are now noticing that everytime we use the washer it smells like rotten eggs. After doing some research online, it looks like we need a p-trap so that the sewer smells go away properly? However, what do I do since the wall is already in place?
photo 1x.JPGphoto 2x.JPGphoto 3x.JPG

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume you are talking about sewer odors.

Complain to your contractor immediately if it is fairly recent work. Maybe ask the city why they approved it that way?

When you get this fixed, your plumber will need to open the wall and fix things. That is usually not as drastic as it sounds.

Now if your hot water has sulfur smells from the taps, that would be something else.

planethunter

Reaction score
Reach4, thanks for the info. Is the installation setup correct based on what the pix show? The drain tube that runs from the washer to the wall is at an upward grade so I am not sure if this is correct if it should be angled downward for proper drainage. Any other way that you can think of to determine if a p-trap is in place without having to open up the wall? We had a bad contractor and he is unreachable at this point.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is under the red towel?

If there is a recess with a down pipe with water about 2 or 3 feet down, that would be normal.

planethunter

Reaction score
I put the red towel there because the tube would come out from the recess with the movement of the water draining into the recess. Should the tube be connected to "something" in the recess?

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks