Washer Rough, A quick check if I am on the right path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
My question is about the green connector in the following image. I have recently learned that a sanitary tee is never supposed to be in this "on it's back" position. However, this is for a vent with no waste flow. Should I change this to a sanitary wye?
Some codes would not permit that. However IPC, which you are under, is fine with that. It seems unlikely that Florida would have modified that aspect of the IPC code.

IPC says that a laundry standpipe plus anything else must feed into 3 inch pipe or bigger. Whether there is a an amendment not requiring you to use 3 inch, or if the inspector is applying a looser pragmatic interpretation, you look like you are OK. But I am pretty sure that the IPC itself does not have an easier specification for residences. So smile, and say thanks. Two inch is going to do fine.

While in that wall, you could consider adding a cleanout above the bottom santee. If you did get a blockage, it would probably be under the slab as flow turns from vertical to horizontal. That curve should be a long sweep, but chances are it is not. A medium bend may have been allowed when that concrete was poured.

From the cleanout down you would want 2 inch.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
IPC says that a laundry standpipe plus anything else must feed into 3 inch pipe or bigger.
The question the OP raises is for areas that have adopted the IRC, including the plumbing chapters 25-33, as well as the IPC.

For example, in Florida, Chapter 1 of the IPC has been amended to just say "The provisions of Chapter 1, Florida Building Code, Building shall govern the administration and enforcement of the Florida Building Code, Plumbing." And section 101.2 of the IBC exempts "Detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories above grade plane in height."

So those residences are not subject to the IPC requirements in Florida, and are only subject to the plumbing chapters of the IRC. Looks like I need to review the IRC as well.

Cheers, Wayne

Reaction score
Some codes would not permit that. However IPC, which you are under, is fine with that. It seems unlikely that Florida would have modified that aspect of the IPC code.

IPC says that a laundry standpipe plus anything else must feed into 3 inch pipe or bigger. Whether there is a an amendment not requiring you to use 3 inch, or if the inspector is applying a looser pragmatic interpretation, you look like you are OK. But I am pretty sure that the IPC itself does not have an easier specification for residences. So smile, and say thanks. Two inch is going to do fine.

While in that wall, you could consider adding a cleanout above the bottom santee. If you did get a blockage, it would probably be under the slab as flow turns from vertical to horizontal. That curve should be a long sweep, but chances are it is not. A medium bend may have been allowed when that concrete was poured.

From the cleanout down you would want 2 inch.
The code in the Florida Building Code reads...

SECTION406​

AUTOMATIC CLOTHES WASHERS​

406.1Water connection.​

The water supply to an automatic clothes washer shall be protected against backflow by an air gap that is integral with the machine or a backflow preventer shall be installed in accordance with Section 608. Air gaps shall comply with ASME A112.1.2 or A112.1.3.

406.2Waste connection.​

The waste from an automatic clothes washer shall discharge through an air break into a standpipe in accordance with Section 802.4.3 or into a laundry sink. The trap and fixture drain for an automatic clothes washer standpipe shall be not less than 2 inches (51 mm) in diameter. The fixture drain for the standpipe serving an automatic clothes washer shall connect to a 3-inch (76 mm) or larger diameter fixture branch or stack. Automatic clothes washers that discharge by gravity shall be permitted to drain to a waste receptor or an approved trench drain.

The code he pointed me at in the Florida Residential reads...

SECTIONP2718​

CLOTHES WASHING MACHINE​

P2718.1Waste connection.​

The discharge from a clothes washing machine shall be through an air break.

I don't fully understand when the IPC applies or doesn't for my work but on this specific thing he said I was good.

As for the clean out I have one on the stack above both of the tees.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't fully understand when the IPC applies or doesn't for my work but on this specific thing he said I was good.
In Florida, if your building falls in the category of "Detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories above grade plane in height" then it is not subject to the IPC, but instead to the plumbing portion of the IRC.

Cheers, Wayne

Reaction score
The question the OP raises is for areas that have adopted the IRC, including the plumbing chapters 25-33, as well as the IPC.

For example, in Florida, Chapter 1 of the IPC has been amended to just say "The provisions of Chapter 1, Florida Building Code, Building shall govern the administration and enforcement of the Florida Building Code, Plumbing." And section 101.2 of the IBC exempts "Detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories above grade plane in height."

So those residences are not subject to the IPC requirements in Florida, and are only subject to the plumbing chapters of the IRC. Looks like I need to review the IRC as well.

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne, to add to your brief Chapter 1 in the "Florida Building Code, Building" also has that exemption...

Exceptions:
  1. 1.Detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress, and their accessory structures not more than three stories above grade plane in height, shall comply with the Florida Building Code, Residential.

Reaction score
In Florida, if your building falls in the category of "Detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories above grade plane in height" then it is not subject to the IPC, but instead to the plumbing portion of the IRC.

Cheers, Wayne
LOL. Beat me to it. Thanks for confirming this.

Do you agree with reach4 that my santee should be fine as a vent?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
LOL. Beat me to it. Thanks for confirming this.

Do you agree with reach4 that my santee should be fine as a vent?
The IPC allows it, I'm still reading the P chapters of the IRC but expect it will allow it as well.

However, if you have room for a combo, I would suggest that is preferable. That is what the UPC requires.

Cheers, Wayne

Reaction score
The IPC allows it, I'm still reading the P chapters of the IRC but expect it will allow it as well.

However, if you have room for a combo, I would suggest that is preferable. That is what the UPC requires.

Cheers, Wayne
Yeah, I think I will do that.

Reaction score
Been a while but I finally got my permit and have been banging this project out.
My pressurized water is in and functioning perfectly but my DWV has a few leaks.
These fittings are set up to be perpendicular pipes but the DWV needs to be sloped. I think I may have applied too much pressure to a few of the joints in attempting to get the slopes. While in a normal situation of running water down the stand pipe I have no leaks at all but when I plug up the end of the line and fill the system with water I have 3 or 4 spots where I can see the water bubbling up at the joints. Is there some way to make a correction on these joints (maybe even just to pass inspection?) or am I pretty much screwed and need to tear it all out and start over? As you can see everything is so tight in this area that cutting something out to replace it just isn't going to happen unless I replace just about everything in the stack area.

I have water bubbles at the right end of the washer p-trap, the top of the cleanout, and the top of the tee in green.

1659969276331.png

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying you have pipe leaks at glued joints. Did you use primer and then glue on PVC?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pretty sure you'll need to cut them out and redo, after you figure out what was wrong with your technique.

If you get a 2" fitting saver (rambit, etc) you could make just 3 cuts--remove the green fitting, the cleanout fitting, and cut the horizontal vent to the left of the joint. Assuming I've properly understood your list of where the leaks are. You'll probably need a pair of shielded rubber couplings to make up the last section , which could be on the vent.

Cheers, Wayne

jrojasutah

Reaction score
Just i need to know if this Laundry Plumbing Rough is correct?

Attachments

• Laundry Drain.jpg
    Laundry Drain.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 25

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
For the upc you have a vertical wet vent. The minimum drain for a laundry sink is 1.5" and your need to be two pipe sizes bigger than that. That means you'd need to be 3"from the underground branch all the way to the tee for the laundry.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ipc wet vents are sized on fixture units I believe. Someone more familiar with ipc will probably chime in.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For the upc you have a vertical wet vent. The minimum drain for a laundry sink is 1.5" and your need to be two pipe sizes bigger than that.
UPC 908.1 "Vertical Wet Venting" says one pipe size larger (at least California's version does), but the minimum drain size for a laundry sink is 2", so same result, you'd need to use 3" for the vertical wet vent.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
UPC 908.1 "Vertical Wet Venting" says one pipe size larger (at least California's version does), but the minimum drain size for a laundry sink is 2", so same result, you'd need to use 3" for the vertical wet vent.

Cheers, Wayne
I always get that crossed up. Two pipe sizes for combination waste and vent systems. One pipe size for vertical wet venting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks