Washer relocation: change a drain from 1 1/2" to 2" on main cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Jen A

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to relocate the washing machine from a ground floor room at the back of my home to one-level lower at the very front of the house in a large utility room. There is only on DWV and it is located at the back of the house - ~ 25 ft away and one level higher above a concrete floor.

The horizonal cleanout in the photo is where I hope to plumb the washer into. No fixtures are currently draining into the horizontal cleanout shown in the photos. What is shown in the photo is closed loop plumbing (no vent) to clear water out of the sump pit into the city drain. This plumbing for the sump pump to the main drain has never been used and seems unnecessary as I have never seen any water level changes in the pit despite days of record rain and snow melt.

My question on this particular post isn't about venting or the sump pump. I have done some research on installing an AAV value to deal with the venting and am in the process of verifying if that will meet the code in Ontario.

My question for all you experts out there is if it's possible for someone who isn't a professional plumber to change the cleanout fitting coming out of the wall from a 1 1/2" reducing fitting to 2" to accommodate the washing machine. Also any tips on doing this is appreciated. I have put in calls to plumbers to get quotes, but they don't even get back to you these days they are so busy!

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/drain-size-for-washer-in-canada.53454/

I hope that was clear and look forward to advice and tips!

Attachments

• IMG_6565.JPG
    IMG_6565.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_6561.JPG
    IMG_6561.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 208

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I understand you, I do not think you would be allowed to drain your washing machine into the city's storm drain system. Often, not always, there's a separation between storm drains and sewage drains, and the WM needs to go into the sewage system.

Plus, for an AAV to work, the drain line must have at least one path to an atmospheric vent...IOW, an AAV cannot be used alone as the sole vent in a system.

They do make pump systems designed to move the WM discharge up to a suitable location. Don't know if these are available in Canada, but I've used one from Liberty Pumps You'll want a check valve to prevent water in the line from refilling the basin on the outlet of the pump. This should have no problem pumping it up one level.

NOte, if your washing machine has an internal heater, you may need the 405 version that is designed to handle hotter water than 130F, the 405 can handle water up to 180F.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks