Washer P- trap needed

Users who are viewing this thread

C M

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a question about the need for a p trap. A plumber put in my washer dryer lines and connected drain. See first pic, there is nothing else to the left of the washer dryer line, it's all drain outside the house from there. At first he didn't have a p trap in there at all but a friend mentioned something about it so he added one under the WD box.

I'm wondering, if p trap is supposed to stop sewer gasses, what is stopping those gasses from passing over to my dishwasher and sink that is on nearby wall connected to same drain? Do I need another p trap? Or should p trap be to the left of the WD to stop gases for the whole drain line instead of just the WD part.

Attachments

• IMG_7282.JPG
    IMG_7282.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_7397.JPG
    IMG_7397.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_7398.JPG
    IMG_7398.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 357

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer needs a vent for the p-trap. The vent goes above the trap arm, not below the p-trap.

washer_rough_1.jpg

In the Seattle area the washer box is normally installed with hammer arrestors.

Last edited:
Reactions: C M

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
At first he didn't have a p trap in there at all but a friend mentioned something about it so he added one under the WD box.

The vent for the Washer P-trap should be where the cleanout cap is shown in the second picture.

I'm wondering, if p trap is supposed to stop sewer gasses, what is stopping those gasses from passing over to my dishwasher and sink that is on nearby wall connected to same drain? Do I need another p trap? Or should p trap be to the left of the WD to stop gases for the whole drain line instead of just the WD part.

The sink and dishwasher will have its P-trap installed under the sink (in the cabinet) when the sink is installed so it would not be in the picture (not in the wall).

Reactions: C M

C M

Reaction score
Thanks for the info / advice. I was also told there is no fall in the drain line which would eventually become problematic... sigh...

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It looks like new construction (or a remodel) so you should have a plumbing "permit". If so, the inspector should catch the mistakes we are talking about. But either way, you should stop working with the plumber you have now and get another plumber (or at least another professional to look at the work). Once the walls are closed up it's going be hard and expensive to make corrections.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do NOT see any "cleanout". That is an AAV which is installed improperly. The "vent" next to the washer trap is completely unnecessary and useless, but it does make a nice decoration. You need a plumber, NOT a "handyman" to install your plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks