Washer Not Filling

Users who are viewing this thread

superj300

Reaction score
Hi all.

I searched the forums several times but can't find the answer I'm looking for. I have an LG high efficiency washer attached to the hot & cold water supply via a Watts Intelliflow leak preventer. The Intelliflow has malfunctioned before and now it's shot, so I needed to remove it. I shut off my water main, removed the unit from the 2 copper pipes, and noticed that the pipes didn't even spill a drop of water (there are no valves on these lines - just directly into the Intelliflow - that's how the prior owner had the plumber install it). So I leave the intelliflow disconnected, turn on my main slowly, and have my wife watch the 2 copper pipes, and no water whatsoever comes out of them. The pipes are 100% dead!

The water in the rest of the house is on, so I know I turned the main on, but I can't figure out why these pipes would be 100% dead when as recently as a week ago I was doing laundry without a problem, and I'm sure no one touched any valves inside or outside the house (other than using the garden hoses). Why would the supply suddenly go completely dead? Where can I begin to trace this issue back to a valve? The pipes are behind the wall so I can't see where they go to, but again, they were working as recently as a week ago and no one has touched anything.

Thanks!

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
there has to be valves on the line somewhere, it's possible t you have partition stops in the vicinity. Is the washing machine valve as originally installed in the house or did a plumber come in afterwards and do some creative plumbing?

superj300

Reaction score
The prior owner had a plumber install this "Watts Intelliflow" unit and it completely stopped working, which is why I removed it. The tops of the pipes have nipple-like adapters that get inserted into the bottom of the Intelliflow unit. These do reduce the size of the pipes but it appears that they should still allow water flow. It sounds incredibly ridiculous to me, but the installation instructions of the intelliflow unit dictate that there should be no valves between the supply and the Intelliflow unit. The photo below isn't my house, but this is an installation I found online, which, while much neater and cleaner than mine, is a very similar setup:
20080122_1504.jpg
I suppose there must be valves somewhere behind the wall where the supply lines tie into the main supply, but wherever they are, nobody touched them - the water just stopped flowing one day, but there is no evidence of a leak anywhere inside or outside the house. All of the piping is behind finished walls in the basement. Where do I even begin to try to find valves? Or what else am I missing?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks