Washer move/add sink

Users who are viewing this thread

TheGewp

Reaction score
I've looked at a bunch of posts about the same subject, but they are just different enough that I'm going to post mine for critique. I think i have everything covered, but I dont know about the sink connection. Do i need to split it off and vent it separately from the standpipe? Thanks for any help.
2017-09-18 16.38.40.jpg

EDIT: Please excuse the cave drawing, i have no artistic abilities...

Reach4

Reaction score
How about something like this?

Attachments

• IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 204

TheGewp

Reaction score
How about something like this?
That was my backup plan.
They are ALL good. Do it whichever way you want to.
Excellent! I do have a couple questions for clarity: the horizontal vent needs to be 6" higher than the top of the highest fixture, correct? The drain flows towards the kitchen sink from the garage, where the washer and new sink are. The garage is about 8" lower than the finished floor in the house, which puts the highest fixture at about 44" above the floor in the garage. Do i need that revent at min 50 inches? Its only a concern because i have cabinets above that sit at 48" with no wiggle room to the ceiling. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
the top of the highest fixture,

The measuring point is the flood level of the fixture. That is maybe what you were meaning, but if you had a sink like this, the rim of the bowl would matter.

laundry-room-sink-and-cabinet-combo-metal-laundry-sink-deep-sinks-for-laundry-rooms-portable-utility-sink-stainless-steel-slop-sink-laundry-undermount-sink-1024x768New-Design-Modern-2017.jpg

TheGewp

Reaction score
One other question besides the height issue, does the standpipe have to be straight? I plan on installing all of this outside the wall as its an exterior 2x4 wall. I would like to install a laundry valve box in the wall though, and shift the standpipe into the wall to connect to the box. I would probably use a couple 45's. Is that doable?

Reach4

Reaction score
One other question besides the height issue, does the standpipe have to be straight? I plan on installing all of this outside the wall as its an exterior 2x4 wall. I would like to install a laundry valve box in the wall though, and shift the standpipe into the wall to connect to the box. I would probably use a couple 45's. Is that doable?
As I understand it, yes. 45 degrees is considered vertical. I am not a plumber. I would opt for a standpipe to be at the high end in length in that case.

Also note that most washers are specified to pump 96 inches above the floor. So if your box is mounted a little higher than typical, that should not be a problem.

An external 2x4 wall. That sounds troubling regarding insulation. Maybe consider building out the wall some and putting in quality foam insulation between outside and your water pipes.

TheGewp

Reaction score
I wish i could say its built like that because its just the garage, but i can't, the whole house is 2x4. Yay 1970's construction. I will be replacing the R9 with R13 when i reside the house, but as it is now, the siding is t1-11 right on the studs. No sheathing, no waterproofing, not even felt paper. Even the lap on the front of the house is installed that way.

Anyway, plumbing... I had considered building a wall to house the plumbing, but the current supply is galvanized and it runs outside the wall as well and in order to build a wall i'd have to remove it, and cut water to the house for longer than i'd like, not to mention the added expense. It may come to it though, i'm not too keen on running pex through that exterior wall either, but i also dont want to worry about the UV exposure on the pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Oregon, not Arizona, they use the UPC code which means that a laundry sink can't wet vent over a washer. Each one gets vented. I assume you're asking what "your" code is, not somewhere else.

The washer standpipe can have 45's on it.

TheGewp

Reaction score
Option 2 it is then. Out of curiosity, what is it about option one that causes a problem? I'd like to understand it, or try at least. Also, i'm still wondering about the vent height here. This setup is in the garage; do the adjacent kitchen's flood levels apply (the kitchen floor is about 8-9" higher than the garage floor)? It makes sense if they do, just want to be sure. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks