Washer machine venting

Users who are viewing this thread

NC remodels

Reaction score
Hello, New to the forum! (I posted this on a code thread but may be more appropriate here)

I'm renovating my 100 year home and have a new laundry and bathroom that I had plumbed by a company. Below is the diagram. I'm hearing from lots of folks that the washer machine (WM) should not be vented this way. They are basically using a 160 DFU AAV to vent the washer, laundry sink, tub and I think the toilet. The washer ties into the 3" horizontal by a 3" Y connection about 6" downstream from 2" Y that connects the sink and tub/shower. The toilet is about 10 developed feet from the existing 3" stack that has a 3" thru the roof vent. There is also about 2.5" of fall in the 3" horizontal from the washer Y to the toilet connection T. The other 3" horizontal after the toilet has about 3"/foot fall before it goes vertical and ties into the existing 3" sewer. Below are my question..
-Will the WM venting give me problems? The inspector says its ok, the AAV manufacturer says its ok and there are more than enough DFU's on the AAV. Both 2" horizontals coming from the tub and laundry sink are about 2' in length. Will I have problems with siphonage and gurgling of the traps up stream? I could easily take the laundry off the AAV and run a dedicated vertical stack and tie into the existing. The company says this it not necessary and wants to charge $400 extra. Is this advisable even though the WM drain will still tie into the 3" at the same location below?
-Is the toilet venting by way of the existing stack 10' away or is it also using the AAV on the laundry sink which is about 8' away. If it is venting by the AAV will this wet venting situation be problematic because the washer is draining on that same line? If I do add the dedicated vertical stack for the Washer will the toilet then be wet venting through the washer machine drain and if so is that OK?
-Is the fall in the 3" horizontals too much? I know there is a minimum of 1/4" but the plumber says there is no maximum. I believe there actually is a max if this is a combo waste/vent situation though...

Thanks!

upload_2020-9-27_13-15-33.jpeg

NC remodels

Reaction score
Yeah,
The shower needs fixing too. And the toilet doesn't get vented by the washer and laundry sink either.
Terry,
I have been battling this company for 2 months now on this. Do you have any suggestions or see code violations? They said they will fix anything not to code. I even had a preliminary inspection done and we caught a bunch of other things but I'm having a hard time getting them to realize something is not quite right. This was a new addition I thought it would be straight forward.

NC remodels

Reaction score
Terry,
I have been battling this company for 2 months now on this. Do you have any suggestions or see code violations? They said they will fix anything not to code. I even had a preliminary inspection done and we caught a bunch of other things but I'm having a hard time getting them to realize something is not quite right. This was a new addition I thought it would be straight forward.

Here is the work from 2 different angles.

Attachments

• IMG_5386.jpeg
    IMG_5386.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_5387.jpeg
    IMG_5387.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 197

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I try to be somewhat nice when commenting but that job looks really bad and I don't know how an inspector thought that was OK, you can't have a W/M and laundry sink on a wet vent. I would have another plumber look at it. get references. :eek:

NC remodels

Reaction score
I try to be somewhat nice when commenting but that job looks really bad and I don't know how an inspector thought that was OK, you can't have a W/M and laundry sink on a wet vent. I would have another plumber look at it. get references. :eek:
James, I have gotten other plumbers to look and they say the work looks very bad too but unfortunately workmanship is not a code violation. I believe NC allows any fixture to wet went and the plumbers said they will only fix things that do not comply with the NC plumbing code. If you know of or see anything else that would be much appreciated. The company is coming back to put in long sweeps where they put in 1/4 vends at vertical to horizontal transitions and also removing the vent 90’s they put on the horizontal to vertical. Thank you

NC remodels

Reaction score
James, I have gotten other plumbers to look and they say the work looks very bad too but unfortunately workmanship is not a code violation. I believe NC allows any fixture to wet went and the plumbers said they will only fix things that do not comply with the NC plumbing code. If you know of or see anything else that would be much appreciated. The company is coming back to put in long sweeps where they put in 1/4 vends at vertical to horizontal transitions and also removing the vent 90’s they put on the horizontal to vertical. Thank you

NC remodels

Reaction score
Yeah,
The shower needs fixing too. And the toilet doesn't get vented by the washer and laundry sink either.
Terry,
So the AAV vent on the laundry sink is not venting the toilet? Is the washer and tub also not getting vented by the sink as well? I know things do not look conventional or good for that matter but will it function properly? The inspector will pass this But I have to live with it. I’ve paid the plumbers 1/2 and I have the notion to cut everything out, start over and tell them to hit the road.. I really don’t have the thousands $ to start over but I will if I have too.

NC remodels

Reaction score
Here is a better attempt at the drawing. Hope this is more clear. Essentially everything venting with a 160DFu AAV on the laundry sink. The toilet may be venting from the existing stack but not sure.

Attachments

• schematic2.jpg
    schematic2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 196

NC remodels

Reaction score
Terry,

So just wanted to follow up on this. My contract with the plumbing company has finally been terminated and we agreed to part ways without any remaining balance due. At the end of the day I was able to get confirmation from the AAV manufacturer (Oatey) that the DWV design would not allow the AAV's to function properly. The plumbing company fought me on this because there was no mention of it in the failed inspection report and they said they where using ProFlow AAV's so my argument and research had no merit. The inspection department agreed that the DWV system needed to work based on Oatey's recommendations and I found out that ProFlow is actually a private label made by Oatey. The same AAV, just a different label. The plumbing company then back peddled and started to see things that would not work function properly with the DWV and said they would fix everything or grant me my previously stated demand to secure another company and end the contract. I chose the second option. We have parted ways, fairly amicably, with much learned... Don't feel intimidated or "stuck" with shotty work... a contract may only be worth the actual work it stands behind... the use of AAV's can be great but they must be thought out and not just stuck anywhere... don't settle for the argument that "it wasn't not on the failed inspection report so we do not need to fix it". With all the BS I've dealt with I can say the plumbing company did honor their word saying they will plumb everything to code. I was just a matter of constantly uncovering that code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks