Washer failure into sump pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nj6964

Reaction score
I’m finishing my basement and my washing machine (which is plumbed to a drain per code) is positioned next to my sump pump pit. I was thinking there must be some way to utilize this convenient location in case of a major washer failure or leak.

I know they make washer pans with a drain that I could route into the pump in case of emergency. Just curious if anyone has seen any other more robust solutions. Thinking a pan under the floor that leads to the sump pump pit? I always have concerned that in a major failure the water will get everywhere and not land in the little pan under the washer. Thanks so much!!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know what your thinking, but a common floor drain is the most common and useful emergency fixture. Beyond that your wall/floor construction can do a lot. If I were worried about a failure I would make the room so that it's capable of "holding water" and that the floor sloped to the emergency floor drain.

Nj6964

Reaction score
Thanks! That’s helped me thinking a little on how to belt and suspenders the room. The bottom plate are all PT. A little caulking to the concrete would at least contain a spill to that room and maybe something hidden under the doorway threshold.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks