Washer/Dryer install in second floor

Users who are viewing this thread

mjrtom7

Reaction score
Greetings y'all...I'm planning to install a washer and gas dryer on the main floor of my Mothers' house since she is having trouble navigating the stairs now. My question is/are: 1.) Is there a DIY anywhere I can follow to accomplish this? I have basic plumbing skills, but I'm a weekend plumber at best. 2.) What are the concerns regarding venting if I tie in to an existing drain? 3.) I'm assuming a 2" drain is required due to the volume of water discharged from the washer...yes?
4.) Should I abandon my illusions of plumbing grandeur and start saving my pennies to pay a plumber to do the job? I'm not the least bit afraid to tackle it myself, but I don't know all of the technical details involved.
Thanks in advance for reading my long-winded post, and for your advice! :rolleyes:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may want to pay a plumber on this...playing with gas is possible, but the ramifications of an error can be disastrous. Yes, you do need a vent, and 2" is the minimum and typical size.

mjrtom7

Reaction score
that's what I thought...

thanks for your input. I've run gas line before, taking great caution to make sure that it doesn't leak at any of the joints. However, I just wasn't sure how to configure plumbing for the drain, or where to vent it. Would it need to be tied into an existing vent?
Thanks again for your help...this is a GREAT forum!! :D:D:D

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The drain, as long as it is vented, does not need to tie into an existing one...you can run a new one up through the roof, or tie into an existing one in the attic. The tie-in could be lower -- it must be 6" above the flood plane of the next highest fixture, which is typically around 42" (36" kitchen sink + 6"). For the possible damage a leaking WM can create, you should probably consider a pan for it with a drain.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Today, most building codes will require you to have a waterproof floor with floor drain, or at least a pan with drain, under the washer.

jaivyjay

Reaction score
well,thanks jadnashua
1.jpg

2.gif

mjrtom7

Reaction score
many thanks..

I'm just now getting back to this post, after deciding to offer my 2 cents (actually, the 2 cents I received from you good folks!) to help get this job done instead of doing it myself. The folks ended up hiring an in-law with more plumbing experience, and the job was done to their satisfaction.
Thanks once again for all of your sage advice! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks