Washer drain ptrap

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
Sorry for the flood of questions this morning... appreciate all the help very much.

My washing machine has never had an issue, but the ptrap is just below the floor (in the crawl space). I looked it up and it needs to be 6-18” off floor. Mine obviously was plumbed wrong. Should this be addressed?

I’m sure there are more code violations throughout the house, but if it’s in place and been working what would be the risk in this specific situation. My kitchen sink is the same way with the ptrap below the floor and straight pipes in the cabinet....

I literally just worked on the washing machine waste last night(!) because that line had to be raised 6”. I’ll attach a photo of what it looks like in wall. I don’t think an inspector will be seeing the laundry any time soon.

As you will see in the picture (taken a few years ago now at this point) this house has/is undergoing every possible renovation and anywhere I can save time will be a blessing so thought I’d ask if this one can slip by. All of this has been drywalled at this point. That is an old picture. Only access I have is removing drywall, and in the crawl space.

7FB170C8-80CC-4898-ADF3-75821E8B80E2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
To be sure any new plumbing or construction you add to your home is up to the building codes in your local municipality; it is safest to draw up plans and then consult with a building inspector. The inspector can let you know if there are any violations. This protects you from dealing with costly changes that must be made to bring your laundry room up to code after your home is inspected and discovered to be out of compliance.

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
To be sure any new plumbing or construction you add to your home is up to the building codes in your local municipality; it is safest to draw up plans and then consult with a building inspector. The inspector can let you know if there are any violations. This protects you from dealing with costly changes that must be made to bring your laundry room up to code after your home is inspected and discovered to be out of compliance.
This was existing. It’s a remodel

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the picture. It does not compute. If there's a trap in that pipe underground it's wrong. It looks to me like you have sewer gas venting into your house. If not then the vent isn't doing anything and has no point.

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the picture. It does not compute. If there's a trap in that pipe underground it's wrong. It looks to me like you have sewer gas venting into your house. If not then the vent isn't doing anything and has no point.
The pipe that is cut off in the stud bay was just put in and then strapped to the wall for extra security it is not connected to any DWV. There is an 1.5” vent that goes into the attic - it comes up from the wye and is hugging the stud. from the wye down the wastewater goes down beneath the floor into the crawl space where the ptrap is just under the subfloor in the floor joist bay.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Washington State, the p-trap for the washer is on the same floor as the washer standpipe.

804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors
receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be
approved for the use proposed and shall be of such
shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding
and shall be located where they are readily accessible
for inspection and cleaning. No standpipe receptor for
any clothes washer shall extend more than thirty (30)
inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches
(457 mm) above its trap. No trap for any clothes
washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6)
inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18)
inches (457 mm) above the floor.

washer_rough_1.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is an 1.5” vent that goes into the attic - it comes up from the wye and is hugging the stud. from the wye down the wastewater goes down beneath the floor into the crawl space where the ptrap is just under the subfloor in the floor joist bay.
The vent for a trap is connected on the downstream side of a trap, not the upstream side of a trap.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kinda weird to ask this after covering the work. The correct answer as noted by All above, is to do it correctly. Traps need to be in the correct place and in the correct orientation so their associated vents actually work properly.

The framing and construction in general looks modern enough that it wasn't built 100yrs ago prior to having inspections.. So there is No chance of any of it being Grandfathered in.

Reach4

Reaction score
I hope the gray pipe is not poly butylene (PB) pipe.

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
I hope the gray pipe is not poly butylene (PB) pipe.
Kinda weird to ask this after covering the work. The correct answer as noted by All above, is to do it correctly. Traps need to be in the correct place and in the correct orientation so their associated vents actually work properly.

The framing and construction in general looks modern enough that it wasn't built 100yrs ago prior to having inspections.. So there is No chance of any of it being Grandfathered in.
Not too difficult of a fix. Will do when the laundry gets the remodel down the road (new drywall, floor, etc). Could do it now but bathroom priority. Has worked fine for 25 years as far as I know. No issues with washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks