Washer drain. Is this installed wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian2147

Reaction score
Neighbor in threeplex had washer installed years ago. Goes between the homes angles Towards the crawl space and drains in a horizontal branch drain pipe.

Attachments

• 23C2C609-2F01-4303-954D-6C1FC1176877.jpeg
    23C2C609-2F01-4303-954D-6C1FC1176877.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 8ADA0E75-701F-4D89-9276-E44583DEC306.jpeg
    8ADA0E75-701F-4D89-9276-E44583DEC306.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 214
  • F4694525-43F8-4388-874D-9D5B06D538D4.jpeg
    F4694525-43F8-4388-874D-9D5B06D538D4.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 213

Reach4

Reaction score
If that is 2 inch pipe (2.5 od), I think work will be proper after the box is installed in the wall at the top of the standpipe, and some support clamps are added.

There is a vent line that goes up from the sanitary tee. That goes into the attic to join other vent lines, or goes to an AAV that will be replaceable.

I am not a plumber.

Brian2147

Reaction score
If that is 2 inch pipe (2.5 od), I think work will be proper after the box is installed in the wall at the top of the standpipe, and some support clamps are added.

There is a vent line that goes up from the sanitary tee. That goes into the attic to join other vent lines, or goes to an AAV that will be replaceable.

I am not a plumber.
The vent is jointed in the attic. I thought that after the p-trap the drain has to slope to the waste stack and not go down a few feet and then connect to the waste stack.

Reach4

Reaction score
The vent is jointed in the attic. I thought that after the p-trap the drain has to slope to the waste stack and not go down a few feet and then connect to the waste stack.
Once you come out of the bottom of the sanitary tee ( which has the trap arm on the side and vent pipe on top), you can go as steep as you like.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The p-trap must be vented PRIOR to it turning down for it to work properly, and, with a 2" line, that trap arm can't be longer than 60", at least in the UPC code areas (IPC allows a longer distance but neither allows it to go vertical prior to the vent). The trap arm should slope down at 1/4"/foot...vertical negates all of the vent's capabilities. The whole idea of a vent is to allow air to travel through the pipe to break the suction...that isn't guaranteed if it's vertical, only when it's essentially horizontal. At 5', there would still be a 3/4" path for air as the flow slowed down to break the suction.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The whole idea of a vent is to allow air to travel through the pipe to break the suction...that isn't guaranteed if it's vertical, only when it's essentially horizontal.

WHERE did that come from. A "vertical vent" is the ideal. Horizontal ones are a compromise with installation reality.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
quote; The whole idea of a vent is to allow air to travel through the pipe to break the suction...that isn't guaranteed if it's vertical, only when it's essentially horizontal.

WHERE did that come from. A "vertical vent" is the ideal. Horizontal ones are a compromise with installation reality.
Vertical as in the drain line prior to the vent.

The vent must come off of the trap arm before the drain line turns vertical AND prior to the length limitation based on the code that applies where you live.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks