Users who are viewing this thread

Allieboo49

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum and I'm having a plumbing nightmare. I just bought this mobile home about 6 months ago. Recently someone pointed out to me that the washer was draining underneath the house. I didn't notice because I barely ever go on that side of the house where the water was draining. Anyways, I looked under the house and found the problem. The last owner had disconnected the pipe under the washer and it was just laying on the floor. So I put the pipe back together and thought that I had fixed the issue. Little did I know that was the beginning of something much worse! Now that the pipe is back together the washing machine drains into the tub and toilet across the hall way, and neither drain. That bathroom was working perfectly before the pipe was reconnected. Also, The pipe that goes from my kitchen sink into the ground is also now leaking, which was not the case before. And lastly, the bathtub is now leaking underneath the home as well, which also did not happen before. I don't know what to do as I don't have a load of money to fix this. Why would reconnecting a pipe cause all of this trouble? Should I go outside and sawzall it to disconnect it once again? I've gotten mixed advice. One person said it sounds like a vent issue, another said it sounds like a clog. :(

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Because the water was draining UNDER the unit the same as the washing machine. Once you connected things back to together the water has no where to go so it backs up. YOu need a plumber to unplug the drain line so everything can work properly.

Allieboo49

Reaction score
Ok. I didn't think the toilet was draining under the house because I thought that it would smell horrible and we would notice, but you're probably right. Thank you

Allieboo49

Reaction score
So basically I do need someone to come snake the drain, and you don't think that it's a vent issue?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
You could disconnect that Washer drain under the house and then flush the toilet and see if it dumps out under the trailer - then you will know for sure.
Regarding the other side of the trailer's plumbing draining normally, I suspect that both sides of the trailer are connect together just before the main drain line. So, most likely there is blockage just before this connection (and right after the Washer drain connection point). At least that info will make it easier for the Plumber to locate the point of blockage and get things cleaned out.

It is not going to be a vent issue, IMO. A clogged vent would/could let the p-trap "suction dry" but would not prevent the waste water from going down the drain pipe.

Allieboo49

Reaction score
Do you think I could try putting a snake down the drainage pipe behind the washer? Or does the snake have to go in the main clean out line? I found the main clean out cap under the house. I'm not sure that I can afford a plumber right now even though I desperately need one.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber - but I would try to insert the snake into the pipe under the trailer where the washer water is coming out. Not in the direction toward the Washer but the other direction - toward the street/septic tank. The clog is somewhere in the direction of the street/septic tank since water from the washer comes out under the trailer.
Do you own a plumbing snake? If so, it is most likely a small one and you may get lucky using it at the pipe under the trailer. If you are planning to rent a power snake, I would just kick in the extra cash and have a plumber do the work. Those powered snakes can do damage and hurt you if you don't know how to use it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
DIY snakes are usually too puny to be effective. If you can reach the clog, the small head will just pass through and leave the clog. The industrial size snakes are either not available to the DYIer or if you could find one, they are very powerful and dangerous for a novice to mess with. Fingers and hands have been los

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The last owner had disconnected the pipe under the washer and it was just laying on the floor. So I put the pipe back together and thought that I had fixed the issue. Little did I know that was the beginning of something much worse!

Is there a air gap on your washer drain ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks