Washer Box Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas K

Reaction score
Hi! I purchased the Oatey Moda Pex Crimp washer box set (washer valves and drain in separate boxes) and plan to install the supply valve box as shown, at rear of stackable laundry closet. I have room in the side wall for the box containing drain only. I plan to leave this back wall of closet bare with no drywall from floor to halfway up the wall, painting the studs to match drywall. I will install a large access panel behind that washer box (the kitchen pantry is behind it) so I can get to the washer hoses and clean the dryer vent occasionally.

My question is does anyone see anything wrong with my leaving Pex pipes exposed here? It will be behind washer and inaccessible except through the access panel. Please ignore the electrical box there. It is being moved to the other side of closet.

Thanks for any replies!

Attachments

• OT.jpg
    OT.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2613.JPG
    IMG_2613.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 151

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Completely fine, nothing to worry about.
I like and have done access for stackables from sides and rear...it is surely the way to do them.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have not done much PEX but never thought about leaving it exposed, I'm sure outside in sunlight its illegal but inside the house but out of the drywall I think is ok

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Still might be wise to insulate it as UV protection. Or use a pipe sleeve, e.g.

Cheers, Wayne

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Just a though here. Drywall does provide some support for the washer box trim ring. When the water is turned on and off by the washer, the PEX may wiggle a bit with each cycle. Over time the bracket screwed to the stud may start a stress crack. I would try to add a little more support such as a 1x4 behind it, but it does look like it does touch the drywall behind it. Perhaps a short stud from the floor to the cross brace and it will allow both boxes support. This washer box kit does look to be well made.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't like exposed plastic water lines so I would want protection in any of variety of ways I thought of slipping insulation over hot and cold as well . But I don't think its required.
What about electrical are you allowed to leave a box like that with exposed romex? opr your running conduit?
I didn't get why the exposed stuff generally I like it covered

Thomas K

Reaction score
I dont like exposed plastic water lines so I would want protection in any of variety of ways I thought of slipping insulation over hot and cold as well . But I dont think its required.
What about electrical are you allowed to leave a box like that with exposed romex? opr your running conduit?
I didnt get why the exposed stuff generaly I like it covered
Jeff: Your comments made me think. Everything in the photos from the two fire-break studs and up in first photo will be drywalled. I am going to set the dryer on a shelf I'm making from (2) 3/4" plywood pieces glued and screwed together. Since the shelf will have about a 5" gap between it and the wall, I revised the way it can be done.

First photo is new layout. Portion of drywall marked with X will be removed and access door installed. It will be 13" wide, and about 40" tall. Plenty of room to get at the hoses and get to dryer vent to clean it. Everything else there gets drywalled. Slanted board above fire breaks is actually roof of middle level of house, so will have to be well-insulated. I think washer box will be better suited to be hung lower, like in second photo, than in first photo. I will still have to run Pex pipes (well-insulated pipes, mind you) over the ceiling of laundry closet and down to washer box. Electrical boxes will be mounted as they are in first photo, all behind drywall. Washer box and pipes will be behind drywall doing it this way.

Third and fourth photos show roof vent and plumbing downward. A straight pipe will attach to pipe in fourth photo and run down to MagVent 90. If I could remove that upper 2 x 4 (I think it's a fire break) I'd be able to move vent back about 2". Not put it behind drywall, but move it back. I would still have a small space to insulate behind it. To run a pipe straight down from vent, though, I would have to cut out that section of top plate in third photo that people who built house mutilated almost to ruin. I'm not a structural engineer, but I don't think it would be a good idea to remove a section of load-bearing wall top plate.

Last photo shows the existing washer box. I never have liked this layout because it puts the washer hoses to the side of the washer where they can't be accessed. Besides that, I needed to raise it up and learned a lifelong lesson that you have to be extremely careful cutting Pex from a brass washer valve fitting to avoid grooving it with the blade so it leaks water no matter how many times you re-clamp it.

Attachments

• IMG_2623.JPG
    IMG_2623.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2624.JPG
    IMG_2624.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2625.JPG
    IMG_2625.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2541.JPG
    IMG_2541.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2622.JPG
    IMG_2622.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 139
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks