washer and dishwasher installation in old apartment

Users who are viewing this thread

tuttle

Reaction score
Hi everyone - first post here. First let me say this place has been very helpful over the past week or so. I certainly learnt more about drains and traps than i ever thought I would. Thanks to all who take the time to share.

Now for my questions. I moved into a rental place last week and while i was initally pleased that the plumbing looked fairly new (it's all pvc, no leaks - really old building so not necessarily a given) I have now come to understand a bit more what I'm dealing with - thanks to this place.

This is what the kitchen sink drain looks like:

As you can see, clearly an s-trap, no venting. I understand (I think) why this is bad, and that the preferred solution would be a vented p-trap. I also think I understand that the venting needs to be outside for it to be useful (otherwise you end up venting the same foul gases in the kitchen), but this is clearly not going to happen - I'm renting so no chance of any major work happening.

On the upside I've been here a week and no issues with the seal so far. Now things are about to get ugly because I want to add a dishwasher. So, two questions:

1- how do you recommend connecting the drain line out of the d/w to the drain pictured above (the dishwasher would sit right next to the sink, to the right)? What about AAVs - are they a potential solution or just compounding the problem?

2- does this white plastic "y" thing in the foreground look like it could be used to connect the d/w drain line? I honestly have no clue what it is.

Another question relates to the clothes washer in the next cabinet over. Here again, we seem to be dealing with an s-trap on the standpipe (left):

But the pipe coming straight up from the ground splits in kind of a "y" shape, and the branch on the right has this (to me) strange piece attached:

Seems to be a slot in it. Is this some kind of vent or AAV? would you recommend any improvements?

Thanks a bunch for any pointers or advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
the dishwasher will attach to that "T" under the sink. The thing at the washer drain is an AAV. AAVs do NOT vent air into the room, they "suck" air from the room into the drain line.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is not an approved AAV either. That's one of those el-cheapo ones they use on trailers (er, manufactured homes) At any rate though an AAV is pretty much useless on a washer line because a washer discharges under pressure.

tuttle

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Should I foresee any issue with connecting the dishwasher to the sink drain using this white plastic piece given that there's no (visible) vent?

I'm also worried that the washer will cause trouble given that, as you said, there will not be a way for air to vent out hen the washer pumps water out.

What do you guys think?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks