Was this tub installed correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

MD999

Reaction score
I recently had my bathtub installed and have noticed a gap between the tile sill and tub. I was told by the contractor this was fine and they didn't want to caulk it due to it molding easily. However, it just doesn't look right to me and think it needs to be fully sealed. I have attached pictures. What do yall think? Should I have it redone or sealed atleast?
upload_2015-10-27_12-1-31.jpeg

Attachments

• 20151027_110347.jpg
    20151027_110347.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 210

MD999

Reaction score
continued

Attachments

• 20151027_110355.jpg
    20151027_110355.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 20151027_110527.jpg
    20151027_110527.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 188

Reach4

Reaction score
That tub looks uncomfortable. Whoever designed this does not seem competent, if it was built as designed. I am not a pro.

If you were the designer, and are not going to get this ripped out, I would put a bead of silicone between the sill and the tub. Silicon is not going to cause mold IMO, but it won't be able to eliminate the mold either. That is going to be more work to clean. You would want a cleaner that can deal with mold.

If that is the current tub style, sigh.
high-heel-pointed-black-patent-court-shoe.jpg

Last edited:

Magneto

Reaction score
I think your right reach4. That seems like the current design and i can't seem to understand who would design a tub like that. I'm honestly at a loss for words about the shape of the interior and how its connected. Im not a designer but i think you could have picked a better tub. Nonetheless it looks installed properly, i would suggest letting the tub run its course, and replacing it with one of your liking. People don't egnerally ask questions like these unless they are unsatisfied with the appearance or comfort of their item.

Reach4

Reaction score
Looking at pictures, it looks to me as if most undermount tubs don't have the granite or marble sticking into the space as much. Did the tub maker provide instructions or dimensions for the marble cutout?

after%2021.JPG

Magneto

Reaction score
That right there looks like a great job. Extremely well done, I've done alot of marble tub installations in the past, and that look is what I go for. Always refreshing to see another good piece of work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks