Warning!! Sharkbite fitting corroding

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
This sharkbite fitting is about 8 years old. It was installed on a 1 inch hotwater line. It now has barnical formations growing on it. What would cause this

Attachments

• 20160517_135821.jpg
    20160517_135821.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,019

Reach4

Reaction score
I lightened your picture a bit.

Attachments

• img_3.jpg
    img_3.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 992
Reaction score
It's like there's pin holes in the sharkbite
I doubt you are the first one with this issue.

I'm certain local employees from store's plumbing departments will be able to answer.

Might want to get a perfect focus well lit pic. Try to light it up with a desk lamp (not a flashlight) as you take a pic.

I was going with your location, and I have seen this firsthand myself in Nova Scotia.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
The big-box "home improvement centers" are full of plumbing parts made from cheap imitation Chinese
brass, or plating which only resembles brass, which start corroding at the first touch of moisture. Many of those parts are made in imitation of
other, better- known and presumably better-made products.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is not a knock off sharky. It's the real deal. Weather it made a difference on it being on a hot line I don't know. I think it was 8 years ago. Could of been longer. But at the time there were no knock off shark bites. They just came out when it was put in

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any chance there's been something dripping on the fitting from above? It's going to be pretty ugly if SB's start failing on a
big scale. Now I'm glad I've only put in a small handful in "permanent" piping.

Reaction score
The big-box "home improvement centers" are full of plumbing parts made from cheap imitation Chinese brass, or plating which only resembles brass, which start corroding at the first touch of moisture. Many of those parts are made in imitation of other, better- known and presumably better-made products.
Really? The OP (original poster) is in Canada, and I am in Canada, and both the Home Depot and Lowes here both sell genuine Sharkbite fittings. Are you implying stores in your local area sell imitation knock offs, and can you kindly mention which stores exactly so the rest of the readers here can learn to avoid?

Flapper

Reaction score
Really? The OP (original poster) is in Canada, and I am in Canada, and both the Home Depot and Lowes here both sell genuine Sharkbite fittings. Are you implying stores in your local area sell imitation knock offs, and can you kindly mention which stores exactly so the rest of the readers here can learn to avoid?

Home Depot sells Sharkbite brand but Lowe's sells two different "knock-off" brands of push-fit connectors, "Blue Hawk" (Lowe's in-house brand for generic products like HD's HDX), and "Mueller Proline".
http://www.lowes.com/pd_252459-2140-10153140___?productId=50013744&pl=1&Ntt=3/4+elbow
http://www.lowes.com/pd_192047-58421-651-004LW___?productId=3556994&pl=1&Ntt=3/4+elbow

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks