Warning: Canature BNT85 valves and iron filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

montelatici

Reaction score
Valves made by Canature are sold under a variety of names including Genesis. Bought a Katalox Light iron filter with a Canature (model BNT85) in 2015. It was sold to me as a Genesis "GENKAT 1". The valve failed a few days ago indicating its failure with a beeping sound. Upon disassembly it was clear that the drive motor had failed as it would not turn with power applied and when removed the motor gear was freewheeling. I went to a local company that sold parts and they sold me a motor that was form and fit an exact copy, however when I got home I noticed that it was 1. 120VAC instead of 12VAC and it was rated at 30 RPM instead of 2 RPM! Should have put my glasses on. Anyway, upon closer inspection, I noted that the plastic base for the motor in the housing was also cracked, so replacing the motor would not have solved any problems. The valve has a 7 year warranty so I contacted the seller, a noted internet seller and I received an initial email as follows:

"Thank you for giving us that information. Unfortunately the manufacturer (Canature WaterGroup) is no longer claiming this to be a warranty issue. Previously they did cover this issue under warranty but now decided it is not. They are saying that we misapplied the product. We are working on getting replacement control valves from another manufacturer to replace these at our cost. It has taken some time but we are working on this. Can you send pictures of the cracked motor stem for us?"

I asked for a further explanation and received this clarification:

"What Canature Watergroup has stated is that the control head they supplied for use on iron filter systems should not be used to remove iron. Previously they stated it was OK to do but now they are saying that using their control valves for this type of iron filter is a misapplication issue. We are currently working on a different manufacturer control valve replacement that will connect to the existing bypass you have there."

Seems like the manufacturer screwed this retailer and it seems that they intend to honor the 7 year warranty, but my Katolox filter is not being backwashed and I fear that it will soon clog up. I can't bypass it as the untreated water will destroy my softener resin, softener is downstream of the Katalox filter. Furthermore, the motor had started moving the valve and there is a small amount of flow leaking into the discharge and it is probably lowering my well level given that it is a constant drip.

Considering going out and buying a Fleck 2510 for this iron filter, the one that does the aeration. Any concerns about this Fleck control valve? I would then sell whatever they send to me as a replacement on eBay to limit my financial loss.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
2510 would be a good choice. Any iron reduction system will require maintenance but the 2510 is particularly easy to maintain. The only difficult part is the seals/spacers. it is not a cartridge design so a special tool does make this a lot easier. And... no surprises,

montelatici

Reaction score
I will check online regarding the maintenance schedule for the Fleck 2510 used for iron. BTW what valves use "cartridges"? Are these cartridges filters that sit in front of the valve and add additional filtration?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Not filter cartridges. The 2510 contains individual seals and spacers whereas many of the newer valves have seals and spacers as a 1 piece drop-in assembly (aka: cartridge, cage). Compare rebuild procedure video for 2510 vs 5810 below.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Yes but the higher end ones are not available for online sales. I can make a recommendation if you like. I will send you a PM.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks