Wanting a flat panel television above the fireplace

Users who are viewing this thread

Abouthadit

Reaction score
Hopefully will have it hung tomorrow. Had to do a road trip the last couple of days .
Once I get it up I'll post up a pic or two...
Then we are working on getting the mantel done, she wants --- I want going on lol...

Chefwong

Reaction score
For a minute there, I thought you had hurt yourself craning your neck all the time to look at the new setup ;-)

Seriously though....before you go through the trouble of mounting it that high, can I suggest the mock-up test and just looking at it for a short extended period of time.
And if you have little ones, pretend you're 2-3 feet shorter and imagine HOW much more uncomfortable it is. This is all very subjective.....and don't get me wrong, displays hung high look great *aesthetically* , but at 54" as a ref point of the bottom of the screen, it's really quite high.

You can pull it off somewhat if you have all reclining seats in your room......

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
For a minute there, I thought you had hurt yourself craning your neck all the time to look at the new setup ;-)

Seriously though....before you go through the trouble of mounting it that high, can I suggest the mock-up test and just looking at it for a short extended period of time.
And if you have little ones, pretend you're 2-3 feet shorter and imagine HOW much more uncomfortable it is. This is all very subjective.....and don't get me wrong, displays hung high look great *aesthetically* , but at 54" as a ref point of the bottom of the screen, it's really quite high.

You can pull it off somewhat if you have all reclining seats in your room......

Or if your watching from bed and need to see over your ice cream bowl and toes!

:)

LOL

JW

Abouthadit

Reaction score
We can't decide which Mantel to get (long story lol ), so I just mounted the center speaker below the TV for now.
These are a couple of pictures of the TV mounted , I took the pictures from where I sit to watch, no strain on neck at all . The TV can tilt 15 degrees so I have it tilted down just abit.
TV.jpgTV 1.jpg

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
We can't decide which Mantel to get (long story lol ), so I just mounted the center speaker below the TV for now.
These are a couple of pictures of the TV mounted , I took the pictures from where I sit to watch, no strain on neck at all . The TV can tilt 15 degrees so I have it tilted down just abit.

Looks Nice.

Can I say spoiled rotten ? lol.

The TV repair man will be happy if you use the fireplace, as long as the warranty has been voided.

Last edited:

Abouthadit

Reaction score
Looks Nice.

Can I say spoiled rotten ? lol.

The TV repair man will be happy if you use the fireplace, as long as the warranty has been voided.

The only fire that we might have will be a duraflame log .. NOTHING else... :)

Now I have to save up and buy some smaller wall mount Paradigm speakers and get rid of the big speakers. But dang they sound good !! lol

DonL

Reaction score
The only fire that we might have will be a duraflame log .. NOTHING else... :)

Now I have to save up and buy some smaller wall mount Paradigm speakers and get rid of the big speakers. But dang they sound good !! lol

If you want good deep Base sound then replacing them with wall mounts may not work as well.

The bigger speakers work the best if your amp has enough power to drive them.

The bigger the better if you like your Low Frequency response. Just raising them off the floor can greatly reduce the deep lows.

Looks like you have a nice setup.

Abouthadit

Reaction score
If you want good deep Base sound then replacing them with wall mounts may not work as well.

The bigger speakers work the best if your amp has enough power to drive them.

The bigger the better if you like your Low Frequency response. Just raising them off the floor can greatly reduce the deep lows.

Looks like you have a nice setup.

Thanks for the comment , I know I could get away with the smaller front speakers because the sub can/has/does rattle the walls/pictures/etc !! lol

Abouthadit

Reaction score
Well been over a month now , still love the set up , no crinks in the neck lol

My only complaint is I had upgraded the receiver from a 5:1 to a 7:2 AFTER I ran the rear wires in the attack and had the insulation blown in , I should on ran 2 more wires too for future installs. Oh well..

DonL

Reaction score
Well been over a month now , still love the set up , no crinks in the neck lol

My only complaint is I had upgraded the receiver from a 5:1 to a 7:2 AFTER I ran the rear wires in the attack and had the insulation blown in , I should on ran 2 more wires too for future installs. Oh well..

When ever I pull a wire I add a extra pull string or two. String is cheap and worth the effort, just in case you want another different wire later.

You could use one of the old wires as a pull string and pull some new ones, unless you tacked them down.

Does the 7.2 sound better than the 5.1 ? Seems like that would take special programing or some sort of phase sifting.

I don't see the need for anything better than 5.1. People like numbers tho.

7.2 was made for people that have 4 ears, and that have eyes in the back of their head. 4D is nice and used mostly on Mars.

I hope you have a good popcorn popper.

Enjoy.

popcorn.gif

Abouthadit

Reaction score
Well the speakers would be in different locations , so pulling the other wires back through with new ones wouldn't help ...
I have listened to other 7:1 and 7:2 systems and it just fills the room with sound.
Even with my 5:1 my Fiance has jumped up off the couch thinking she heard something behind her , I just laugh ...Watching a scary movie and hear a creaking door really gets her jumpy.. lol
Watching the Expendables and when Terry Crews character is blasting away the bad guys with that shotgun , it just flows from the rear to the front .Its awesome.
I just watched Act Of Valor last night and when the sniper was shooting it was like the bullets were flying right by you...
I watched a bit of the Expendables on a 7:2 system and dam it sounded so much better...... even though the movie is in 5:1 Dolby Digital Audio it still sounded awesome , I love bass and with the 2 Subs in the 7:2 system they had everything shacking !!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks