Wall vs. Floor Mounted Condensing Boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

DrS1

Reaction score
I was looking at condensing boilers at Menards and am curious about the difference between Wall Mounted and Floor standing versions of what look to be similarly featured and spec'd boilers. In this case, the Westinghouse WBRCNG140F vs WBRCNG140W. Provided space wasn't an issue, is there an advantage to the floor mounted. From some of the pictures it looks like internal tanks might be larger in the floor mounted version. Of course, freeing up some space for storage with a wall mounted boiler is appealing as well.

Also, anyone have experience with the Westinghouse boilers Menards sells? Quality issues?

Thanks!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The floor model of the combi-boiler has a 15 US gallon buffer, for the domestic hot water, the wall hung has only 2 gallons.

This model only has a 5:1 turn down ratio, which can be a short-cycling issue at condensing temperatures if you don't have enough radiation on each zone to emit the full min-fire output at condensing temperatures. Before diving in on these run the napkin math on both your whole-house heat load, and your radiation. At condensing temps the min-fire output is about 26-27,000 BTU/hr. It takes at least 125-130 feet of fin tube baseboard to emit that much heat with 125-130F water.

The bigger-burner WBRCNG199F (W) has a 10:1 turn down, and can drop back to about 18-19,000 BTU/hr, which can be emitted by 90-100' of baseboard @ 125F-130F water.

The same combi boilers can be had under the HTP nameplate as EFTC-140F (W) or EFTC-199F (W), which may be better supported in your area than Westinghouse. My understanding is that HTP is the importer, and Westinghouse buys them from HTP. Same equipment, different support chains. They are designed & manufactured for export by a first-tier Korean boiler company, Kiturami, a company that competes head to head with Kyung Dong Boiler (Navien) at home, but has taken a different North American marketing strategy. I believe Laars (Canada) carries them too, which may or may not be better supported than Westinghouse in Ohio. (Laars HQ is right across the lake from Ohio.)

The related HTP UFT-xxxW modulating condensing boilers seem to be popular & reliable in my area (New England), but distributor & installer support varies regionally. ( HTP's HQ is in Massachusetts.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks