Wall Tile Plan Advice Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Tsansoterra

Reaction score
Hello, I am planning my first tile job for my home shower. I have attached a drawing of the proposed layout of my tile. I will be using the manufacture recommendation of 3/16 grout gap. The issue with this layout is that I end up with a grout gap of .37 inch on the left and right side of the 2nd tile layer. The gap seems far too large to be comfortable with, and too small to make a sliver piece for. What should I do?

Tim

Attachments

• tileplan01.JPG
    tileplan01.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 149

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How thick are your tile? If your tile are like 3/8" thick, when you add thinset underneath, that gap could easily be hidden.

How does that layout work around the corners? Note that the tile industry bible calls for all changes of plane or materials (i.e., corners and wall to floor) to be a joint that can handle expansion/contraction...IOW, when you consider how thick the tile is on the other walls, when it come close to the wall depicted, how much of a gap will there be? That gap does need to be either filled with caulk (well, use a foam backer rod so it won't actually be full) and may just look normal. NOte, the industry bible also highly suggests that on tile that large that you use a 1/3'rd offset on tile versus a brick pattern. Now, that pattern COULD work, but with most tile will NOT. The reason is that many tile have a slight bow to them. THat means that having the next row have the lowest point (the ends) adjacent to the highest point (the middle) of the tiles above and below. That can create a rather severe lippage situation. By offsetting by a third, you halve that error. To test for this, take two tile, place them face to face and see if they lay flat against themselves especially if you hold one end of them together...is there a gap at the other end? If not, your pattern will work.

Your shower should be not damaged by moisture even prior to installing the tile, grout, and any caulk. Tile is the decorative, wear surface, not waterproofing.

Any details on how the pan is constructed and the walls? Building a trouble-free shower isn't hard, but there is LOTS of misinformation out there, and the approved procedures are very detail oriented. It's easy to make a tactical error, either through ignorance, or misdirection.

A few details on how things like the walls, pan, and curb are built might help direct you towards a reliable shower. It's lots easier to fix, if needed, prior to the tile going up! Check out www.johnbridge.com .

Tsansoterra

Reaction score
Hello Jim
Thank you for your detailed response. I have attached an image of my current shower project. The previous tile plan was based on the tileable space after subtracting the trim thickness, and the backwall thickness. I think I have two options now. The first would be to place another layer of hardiebacker on the backwall. I am currently using half inch, but if i went with a layer of quarter inch I could lower that gap in the grout. The second option would be to find a smaller trim (since I am currently using the largest available at my local store .75inch) , but by doing this I would be forced to introduce a sliver cut into my plan. I appreciate the input!

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 167

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can't tell from the picture...is the wall in question the one on the right?

You could cut that slight amount off of the whole tiles so that the edge was aligned. What would that do to the outside wall?

If that gap is mostly from the width of the saw kerf, you'd waste some tile, but you could cut some the proper length, but you'd be wasting more tile that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks