Wall Support for Pedestal Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Baron

Reaction score
I'm in process of modeling our 1/2 bath and was planning on installing a pedestal sink.

I know I need to install a wall support between the studs -- but, I have a cold air return that runs right behind the wall where the sink will be installed -- and the duct work is probably pretty close if not flush to the back side of the drywall.

Any ideas?? Thanks.

Rick

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Put in a vanity...you might be able to do a metal plate then have holes drilled and tapped. For attaching to the studs, you'd want the holes either countersunk so you could use large flathead wood screws, or counterbored so you could use lag bolts. If you got 1/2" thick plate, it would be the same thickness as the drywall, and if the sink was wide enough, you may hide it entirely. On the machine screws holding the sink up, I'd want to use some thread locking compound. This might be overkill, but should work.

Baron

Reaction score
Thank Jim for the advice.

I agree -- a vanity would be much simplier-- but I do like the idea of using a metal plate. Aesthetically -- I don't know how it would look.

I could just go ahead and remove a section of drywall and see what's behind the wall -- no big deal -- I guess. I prefer not to.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Another way around this is to install smaller ducting. Not as deep into the stud. I believe they have 1 1/2 deep ducts. You might need to rip down the 2x12 that goes in the wall as a support to thin it out as well. You could end up a little proud. In that event you could simply cover that area with 1/4" drywall. That will buy you another quarter inch.

Tom

Baron

Reaction score
Another way around this is to install smaller ducting. Not as deep into the stud. I believe they have 1 1/2 deep ducts. You might need to rip down the 2x12 that goes in the wall as a support to thin it out as well. You could end up a little proud. In that event you could simply cover that area with 1/4" drywall. That will buy you another quarter inch.

Good idea too.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again guys for the advice.

B2CHR

Reaction score
Question, with the duct work behind the sink I take it that the drain and water supply is coming up through the floor? There is a thread here about installing a pedestal sink that has the drain coming up through the floor and there was a question about with the drain out in the floor that the sink might not work. If you can replace the section of duct work with some flex and use toggle bolts to hold the sink to the wall that might work.

Sorry, wrote this before I seen the pre post.

Baron

Reaction score
The water supply comes up through the floor -- the drain is out from the wall.

The duct is off center -- just right of the drain.

Attachments

• DSCF1991.jpg
    DSCF1991.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,499

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
duct

In that case the duct is not "behind the sink" it is behind one side of the sink and the anchor on the left side will secure it without worrying about one on the right. Reducing the duct size is the worst idea for solving the problem. If it were really a problem, I would screw the sink to the duct.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you have other troubles to contend with

Installing a pedistle is usually a pain in
the neck no matter how it goes down...

looking at your pic, I would be willing to bet that
you will need to move the waterlines closer into the
back wall to make room for the stand...

the drain line might be off a tad bit off center too...

that is always fun trying to stand on your head and
install the trap behind the pedistle....

the backing in the wall is probably the
least of your troubles...
which you really dont have to have

for your backing you could just install some plastic
anchors and mount and glue the hanger to the drywall if necessry...

with a pedistle sink ,
the weight is held up by the stand under-neath it....

you could actually just put the hanger on the wall
with plasit drywall anchors,
and glue the pedistle in place with DAP and get by fine

it wont go anywhere unless someone decides to
make love on it...

we run into them all the time that were glued to
the wall with silicone,,,,

of course they dont come off too easy years from now

but that is someone elses problem:D

Looking at what you got , I too suggest a vanity

Baron

Reaction score
Reducing the duct size is the worst idea for solving the problem. If it were really a problem, I would screw the sink to the duct.

I agree -- I really don't want to go there.

looking at your pic, I would be willing to bet that
you will need to move the waterlines closer into the
back wall to make room for the stand...

Yep -- I've been measuring some different pedestal sinks and it looks like I will have to move the water lines closer to the wall.

the drain line might be off a tad bit off center too...

I'd like to center the pedestal -- but since the drain is off center -- will this be a problem??

it wont go anywhere unless someone decides to
make love on it...
That would be too uncomfortable..:D

Baron

Reaction score
The drain being off center becomes a problem if there is not enough room in the slot of the pedestal to rotate it into position

Looks like the drain is off center by 1-1/2".

I'll measure the slots of the pedestals -- to see which one would work the best. I guess the wider the better.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would screw the sink to the duct.

HJ,

How would you screw a heavy pedestal sink into a duct? It requires a support stud in the wall which is usually a 2x12 laid on it's face.

Tom

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
screw

The pedestal supports the sink. The screw only holds it against the wall. A piece of sheet metal, the duct, behind the wall with a large sheet metal screw into it will give more than adequate support. A pedestal sink glued to the wallwith silicone, (no screws), will stay there forever anyway.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
HJ,

The reason you bolt a pedestal sink to the wall is that when your 6 year old tries to reach the handles for the first time the sink doesn't tear away from the wall and crush the kid.

While I agree that sheet metal with a toggle bolt would work most of the time it is not an adequate installation method.

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've only looked at a few, but they all said to anchor the sink properly, the pedestal is mostly decorative. Your results may differ...

Now, a good anchor into drywall can hold a lot, but it's easy to compromise the wallboard, too. I'd feel much better with the sink firmly screwed into something solid.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

While I agree that sheet metal with a toggle bolt would work most of the time it is not an adequate installation method.

I did not say a toggle bolt, I said a large sheet metal screw. Have you ever tried to pull a screw out of a piece of sheet metal? Especially one flat against the back of a layer of sheet rock? If your 6 year old can do it, then you have one humungous 6 year old and I, for one, would not try messing with him. You can put a piece of sheet metal across steel studs, and once the drywall is installed you can hang your lavatory from it.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
We have an obesity problem in this country. Don't six year olds run a couple a hundred pounds these days? I hear they have one playing center for the packers.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks