Wall mounted faucet rough-in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
I am preparing the plumbing for a two pipe wall mounted faucet.

The faucet is to be mounted onto male threaded pipe fittings.
The male threaded pipe protrudes partially out of the backing frame (board/blocking).

The pipes need to hold water under pressure until the wall is finished and the faucet mounted.

How do I install the rough-in and pressurize the lines before the faucet is installed?
- I looked for threaded caps and as of now they do not exist.
Are there such fittings? Is there another fitting I am unaware of?
- If I stub out the pipe with the intention of adding the male threaded ends I do not have room inside the mounting board to solder on the male threaded fittings.
- Do I need to install the faucet temporarily to hold water? That can be an option in this case since the faucet frame protrudes from the wall and wall board can be done above and below with the faucet in place. I am so used to having fixtures placed after the walls are done this does not feel right.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
The faucet is to be mounted onto mail threaded pipe fittings.
The male threaded pipe protrudes partially out of the backing frame (board/blocking).
Are those brass nipples, or what?

You can look for a FIP cap. I think you could use PVC for this temporary use. Readily available and cheap.

7bcfbdab-654a-4480-8551-6f3dc099edf1_400_compressed.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally a wall mount faucet uses 1/2 threads.
Until trim I use 1/2" pipe nipples with caps. Normally galvanized steel.
At trim, I remove those and use brass nipples. Steel is okay, but you get a bit of rust out of those. I like something that doesn't rust, like brass or stainless.

Tbbarch

Reaction score
The male threaded end is copper 1/2" NPT .

Terry - You have gone a different direction. If I understand ...
you are putting a female threaded elbow in the wall, like for a shower, and then installing a temporary galvanized nipple and cap.
When the faucet is ready to be set you remove the galvanized pieces and replace the nipple with a brass nipple for attaching the faucet.

I found brass nipples at a local (non-box store) plumbing supply.
Unfortunately the nipple lengths are limited to short sections up to 4" without special ordering of 100.
The faucet in my case is mounted to a box-out built onto the wall. This pushes the faucet out about 4 1/2" past the face of the studs.
I would like to avoid getting into additional parts and dimension hurdles? I can not thread my own nipples to a custom length.

So would a PVC cap (as suggested by Reach4) or galvanized cap thread directly onto a copper male 1/2" NPT do the job?
Are there special considerations installing a temporary galvanized cap onto copper ... such as the steel damaging the copper threads?

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
The male threaded end is copper 1/2" NPT .
Copper is good. If copper, you probably have a fitting like this soldered to copper pipe. On the other hand, it could be a red brass nipple that looks like copper.
207224_256.png

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
for a short time, I'd think a black iron pipe cap would work...it would start to rust, but wouldn't be much of a factor for say a couple of weeks during a remodel.

Lowes sells a brass one that could be left forever without worrying about rusting or degrading the metals. You should be able to find something suitable at any plumbing supply house, assuming the faucet didn't come with some special threaded fitting.
Brass pipe cap.jpg
black iron pipe cap.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks