Wall faucet - straight threads?

Users who are viewing this thread

JetskiPirate

Reaction score
The wife brought home a wall mount faucet that she wants me to use for our bathroom remodel. I dry fit the trim to the rough-in valve, to make sure I install the valve at the proper depth in the wall. While assembling it, I noticed that the spout threads are not tapered, and it does not get tight in any way, until bottomed in the valve.
There is no washer, gasket, o ring, or any type of seal there. The instructions say "You may choose to use pipe tape."

There is a fairly hefty wall plate, which the spout tightens up against, when threaded about about halfway in.

To me, this seems like a sure leak - will teflon tape actually seal this?

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pics of the parts might help.

Tape doesn't seal straight threads, though. There's gotta be something else going on, or missing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A setting type pipe dope might be another option. Once it set up, it might give you a bit more flexibility in keeping the spout straight. Do they include a special fitting for the wall connection? If so, does it have a washer like on a garden hose?

JetskiPirate

Reaction score
SpoutAndValve.jpg
BottomedOut.jpg
Instructions.jpg

No washers or anything. The spout threads in & out freely, like a nut on a bolt, but it will be about halfway in, ultimately.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I put these in before. Teflon works. You may have to do it a few times to get the right amount. pressure coming out of faucet might be like 1 or 2 psi. So unless the aerator plugs solid there will be no build up of pressure

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks