Wall cap damper missing

Users who are viewing this thread

Higgledy

Reaction score
I have exhaust vent troubles in all my bathrooms. In the powder room bath on the first floor the previous owner had squirrels getting in thru the wall cap. His solution was to replace the damper with a screen. Really dumb solution because now the bathroom is hot or cold depending on the season. Is it possible to just install a new damper and not replace the whole vent wall cap? The house is aluminum sided. I really hate to disturb that siding. Plus, I doubt I can ever get the new wall cap to be as leak-proof as the original wall cap. Thanks.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Replacing damper is a matter of getting the part and if anything was damaged in removing the old damper.
so, it is case by case details.

Higgledy

Reaction score
Replacing damper is a matter of getting the part and if anything was damaged in removing the old damper.

ok well I think I forced the issue now. I tried to replace the exhaust fan and accidentally pulled the vent pipe off the vent cap to the exterior wall.
Pictures from the exhaust vent inside

I hope this link works.

the siding is 30 year old aluminum that I’m afraid to mess up if I have to remove the exterior vent wall cap. (is that what they are called)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks