Walk in Bathtub -- Recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Michellex2

Reaction score
I'm looking at installing a walk in bathtub due to mobility issues. Does anyone have any experience with walk in tubs? I'd appreciate any recommendations as to brands or any known concerns/issues with this type of tub. Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Kohler makes them. Probably others as well. I found several on the web. The price is north of $4000 on the ones that I have priced.

I do not have experience with these, but I would be worried about the longevity of the door seal. How readily is it repairable and how do you get parts.

Is it possible that you could just consider a wheelchair accessible shower? This would be a lot less expensive if you could live without the ability of soaking in the tub/

One thing to consider: the tubs are not actuall wheelchair accessible. Somehow you have to transfer from the chair into the tub. Whereas a shower can be completely drive-in.

krushen

Reaction score
Walk in Bathtubs

There are several walk in bathtubs on the market, depending on what you are looking for and how much you want to pay. Safety Bath is a walk in bathtub that is available throughout North America and retails for $4980. The Safety Bath has an outward swing door and you need not worry about the seal...their seal has a lifetime warranty. The Safety Bath also features water or air massage, hand-held shower and comes equipped with all the necessary above floor plumbing. It is true that one could have a wheel in shower installed, but keep in mind that if you can transfer from a wheelchair or walker into a walk in bathtub, the relaxaton of having a bath is well worth it.. You can find more information about the Safety Bath at http://www.safetybath.com . The company has been in business since 1992 and the Safety Bath is available through a dealer network throughout North America.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
seal

Having a lifetime warranty on the seal, and worrying about the seal are two different things.
1. The seal can leak and cause damage, so that you could not use the tub until it was replaced. And,
2. The guaranty is only valid as long as the company is in business, and does not merge with another company, which can void any outstanding warranties.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Warranties

Used to be if you had a warranty paper in one hand, and a buck in the other hand, you could at least get a cup of coffee. Today, you can't even get the coffee.

krushen

Reaction score
walk in bathtub warranty

The Safety Bath company provides excellent customer service. You can actually speak to a real person and they are upfront about their price. They stand behind their product and incidentally...the door does not leak. As far as the warranty being valid as long as the company is in business, Safety Bath Inc. has been in business since 1992. The company is expanding into new product lines which indicates they plan to be around for a very long time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks