Vortech mineral tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Grunt

Reaction score
Have a down-flow carbon mineral tank and its time to re-bed. Thinking about getting a vortech tank. I understand that during backwash there is an increase in backwashing flow. My interest in switching to a vortech tank would primarily be for an increase in service flow rate but can find nothing that states it has an increase in service flow rate over my standard distributor / gravel set up. Does any one know if service flow would be significant enough to warrant the switch to a vortech tank ?
V / R
Grunt

Bannerman

Reaction score
What size is your current tank? Which contaminants are of concern? What control valve is used?

Carbon removal of contaminants is not an immediate process but requires adequate contact time for adsorption to occur. Increasing the service flow rate usually requires increasing the quantity of carbon and therefore, a larger media tank. As each contaminant will adsorb at different rates. the usual recommended service flow rate to achieve effective filtration is 1-3 gpm/ft3 of carbon media. While exceeding the SFR may allow some amount of contaminants to pass through, each quantity of media will also have a peak flow rate which will be influenced by various factors including tank size, tank type, and which control valve is being used.

Grunt

Reaction score
What size is your current tank? Which contaminants are of concern? What control valve is used?

Carbon removal of contaminants is not an immediate process but requires adequate contact time for adsorption to occur. Increasing the service flow rate usually requires increasing the quantity of carbon and therefore, a larger media tank. As each contaminant will adsorb at different rates. the usual recommended service flow rate to achieve effective filtration is 1-3 gpm/ft3 of carbon media. While exceeding the SFR may allow some amount of contaminants to pass through, each quantity of media will also have a peak flow rate which will be influenced by various factors including tank size, tank type, and which control valve is being used.

Fleck 5600, 9x48 mineral tank, 2.6 Fe iron, 2.0 HS, Ph 7.0, 240 ppm hard, using chlorine injection to a 90 gal contact tank prior to carbon tank which is backwashed every 3 days. Is the SERVICE flow rate significantly higher on the vortech tank vice using a distributor / gravel.
Thanx for any feed back, was worried no one was talking to me due to the rumor, I assure you I am not the Gov. whistle blower.
V/R Grunt

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Fleck 5600sxt, 9x48 mineral tank, 2.6 Fe iron, 2.0 HS, Ph 7.0, 240 ppm hard, using chlorine injection to a 90 gal contact tank prior to carbon tank which is backwashed every 3 days.
If you do replace the tank, consider going to a bigger tank if space permits. You could probably increase your time between backwashes to maybe 7 with either size tank. I am not a pro.

Is the SERVICE flow rate significantly higher on the vortech tank vice using a distributor / gravel.
I expect that to be insignificant, since you have gravel.

Go coconut.

Grunt

Reaction score
If you do replace the tank, consider going to a bigger tank if space permits. You could probably increase your time between backwashes to maybe 7 with either size tank. I am not a pro.

I expect that to be insignificant, since you have gravel.

Go coconut.
Current 9x48 using a distributor / gravel & a bed of coconut carbon, I have to backwash every 3 days, more than 3 days & I start getting a slightly off taste & smell that I call stale water dont know how else to describe it. Was looking at the vortech tank & not using any gravel if that would reduce differential pressure and allow a higher service flow ?
V / R Grunt

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is the SERVICE flow rate significantly higher on the vortech tank vice using a distributor / gravel.
You seem to be referring to a mechanical flow restriction which in a carbon filter would be classified as 'peak flow'.

In the case of a filter, service flow is the effective rate in which the media will perform its intended task. Your current 9" X 48" tank will contain a maximum of 1 ft3 of carbon. While your setup as it exists with gravel under bedding, should be capable of flowing up to 12 gpm (peak flow rate), 1 ft3 of carbon will be most effective for contaminate removal when flowing at 3 gpm or less. Since chlorine is relatively easy to remove, chlorine will usually be filtered-out even when the flow rate exceeds 3 gpm per 1 ft3 of media, but it's usually best to size a carbon filter based on no higher than 3 gpm for each 1 ft3 of media.

Compare the Service and Peak flow rates shown in the chart below. Fleck 5600 is commonly restricted to no larger than 10" diameter filters (1.5 ft3 of media), so if you wish to compare larger carbon filters, view those equipped with newer Fleck control valves such as the 5810 series shown in the 2nd link.

https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/58-59
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/44-45

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The flow difference would be nearly immeasurable. Be sure to replace the lower screen/riser assembly when you rebed. Do not go cheap on this part.

Grunt

Reaction score
The flow difference would be nearly immeasurable. Be sure to replace the lower screen/riser assembly when you rebed. Do not go cheap on this part.
What would your choice be for a distributor basket. I have the fleck high flow bottom distributor basket #40922 on hand for this re-bed
but if you know of something better let me know.
V / R Grunt

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks