volume question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by noplanet4me, Jan 22, 2013.

  1. noplanet4me

    noplanet4me New Member

    Jan 22, 2013
    gold river ca
    I have a 3000 sq ft home that when we flush a toilet on one side of the house, or run the washing machine ,there is a major pressure loss everywhere else. I checked the water pressure on one of the garden hose faucets and it is around 60 psi . I assume that there is a volume problem. The house is around 20 years old and in Gold River , ca. Alot of my neighbors had line breaks and had to take the plumbing overhead because the builder buit this addition (2500 homes) on a bed of cobble.
    It has gotten worse since they change water service and installed new water meters.
    There are no asbuil;ts for this community. It is an unincorporated area of Sacramento County , which obviously the builder got away with anything. I went to the county who told me only the architect would have the plans . I went to the Architect and he said it was too long ago and he dosen't have plans and that the buider changed his mind so much during construction that lord knows what is under my house.
    Certainly would of like to have known this fact before I bought but now I am stuck.
    Can anyone tell me how to proceed in checking out why there is such pressure loss just by flushing one toilet.
  2. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    FIrst, make sure that the shutoff to the house is fully open. Then, if you have a PRV, it may have failed. Then, take a look where the water comes into the house and try to determine what kind of pipe it is, and what size it is. Then, get back with your observations. A bad prv can show that, but you may or may not have one. Galvanized piping eventually rusts and can choke the volume off prior to rusting through, so if there's any of that, that may be the issue...all it takes is a small section to do that.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    You need to check the pressure where the line enters the house WHILE the water is flowing in one of the faucets.
Similar Threads: volume question
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice water volume question Nov 11, 2010
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Multiple shower head supply volume question Jan 11, 2010
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Question on installation methods regarding pressure and volume/ Mar 14, 2009
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Water pressure and volume problems Jun 22, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Try to remove American Standard shower set volume control trim May 27, 2017

Share This Page