Voltage reading on neutral wire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Washer55

Reaction score
If I measure neutral and ground with a voltmeter I notice my multimeter measures around 2v on the neutral line.

Is this normal? If not what would cause this behaviour and how would I troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Way back at the panel, the neutral and ground at tied together...but, wire does have some resistance in it, and often, the ground wire is a smaller gauge (higher resistance). Throw in possible wire nuts, screw connections, etc., along the way, and there could be a difference in their potential. Probably nothing to worry about. It might be a less than perfect connection somewhere along the string.

If you were to measure ground-neutral back at the panel, it should read zero volts. If it doesn't, then, I'd start looking for a loose or corroded connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks