Vinegar on fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

Alleycat

Reaction score
Can it hurt anything? I want to clean the kitchen sink sprayer and the toilet tanks to dissolve hard water crud. An internet search suggests the toilet tank is okay as long as it isn't left for too long (how long is too long?) and that it's okay on chrome sprayers only - not sure why only chrome -
thanks for any advice.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
alleycat said:
Can it hurt anything? I want to clean the kitchen sink sprayer and the toilet tanks to dissolve hard water crud. An internet search suggests the toilet tank is okay as long as it isn't left for too long (how long is too long?) and that it's okay on chrome sprayers only - not sure why only chrome -
thanks for any advice.

Vinegar, CLR, Lime-Away all work good.

Most people will put aerators in a cup to clean with vinegar or take a sandwich bag and fill it up and tie it off to a showerhead without taking it off to clean the small openings.

Alleycat

Reaction score
thanks everyone
so far, I've found lemons and vinegar to be effective and inexpensive ways to deal with hard water deposits. We looked into water softeners in my last house but I don't like the idea of regularly pouring bags of salt into my septic or my backyard

Cookie

Reaction score
I have been cleaning for 10 years now with just vinegar and water. Sometimes, a lemon juice. I will tell you what I would stay away from the other products, like lime away, CLR, etc, no one wants to hear this, but, I was using that stuff before I was diagnosed with a very deadly cancer. It is up to you folks, but, just my 2 cents worth. You live in the air you breathe.

I do use a windex on the windows. I use a dishsoap for scrubbing the tub, and vinegar in the toilet bowl. Take it for what it is worth, but, mine is a reality you would not want in a heart beat. Take the precautions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vinegar

Lemon and vinegar are very weak acids. The only problem in the toilet tank is the plastic parts. The tank itself is impervious to all household materials.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, after 10 years one would think if it were going to eat away the inside of the toilet or parts, it would had been by now. If anything is caustic is the cleaning products theirselves. The vinegar is diluted anyways with the water in the bowl. The only other chemical I do use in my home is bleach. That is because I am 2 percent of the population who has had cancer of the immunity system, so, I do use bleach to kill germs on somethings like handles on doors and the bathroom floor. Even then, I use very very little. A minute amount, diluted with hot water. I did try the teflon product once, just to see if it worked, and it does. But, I would not use that on a steady basis. Just my 2 cents worth, take it for what it is worth. Use everything in moderation.

Cookie

Reaction score
Good for a cheap perfume, too. :D
Try to find that at Saks.
*Prashster, I make all my many dates hungry, lol.

Last edited:

Alleycat

Reaction score
Gary Slusser said:

Thanks for posting those links Gary, but I'll stick with vinegar and lemon. I'm not a scientist and I'm sure that you know way more about this than I do, but I can't be persuaded that putting such big quantities of salt into the ground is an environmentally good choice, and the independent research still seems inconclusive to me.

Alleycat

Reaction score
So the three systems you sold yesterday will put 1095 pounds of salt every year into the environment. That's a lotta salt!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Then in your opinion the environment is better off with those three households using more cleaners, shampoo, water, clothes etc. and suffer ruined water heaters using up to 30% more fuel to heat their hard water than using =< 8 lbs of salt per 8 days.

Now all those products are manufactured somewhere and they cause the environment problems too. So where do you see the least damage to the enviornment?

Would their using potassium chloride help?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks