vinal floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
I'm attempting to put in a vinal floor in an upstairs bathroom. I've never done it before, but I know the process. I have a couple questions, though.

1. The old floor was the press and stick tile. The tiles leave the floor real sticky when pulled up. Will that glue cause problems with the adhesive I'm using for the new vinal floor?

2. The piece of vinal I'm using is a scrap piece that I bought at Lowe's. No warranty. No manufacturer details. Not even a name of manufacturer. A book I read said to match the manufacturer of vinal with the manufacturer of adhesive. Is this really neccessary?

3. Does it matter if I use a trowell with 1/16" slots vs. 1/8" slots?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my opinion, laying vinyl flooring is best done by a professional. It's awfully easy to make a wrong cut or tear the vinyl; there's just no margin of error. The pro has the tools, knows what materials to use, and can be in and out while your cup of coffee cools. I think in a relatively small space like a bathroom, there are just too many chances for error.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1/8" notches would be way too big for sheet vinyl goods. You need the smallest notch you can find. A general purpose adhesive like Henry's 435 would be fine. Make sure there are no lumps or bumps on the floor. They will telegraph up. You should always use a 50 lb or 100 lb floor roller to put down sheet goods..

Rburt5

Reaction score
This is probably one of those jobs that I will wish I would have hired a professional when I'm done. But I'm kind of stubborn like that. I have to learn for myself sometimes. It's a bathroom we are going to totally redo in the future anyways. I just need a temporary floor to get me by. The old press and stick tiles are sliding around and letting water (maybe mold) ruin the plywood.

Thanks for the advice. Luckily, I had already bought one with 1/16 notches. Could I get the same result as a floor roller by leaning on a regular rolling pin from the kitchen? I know it sounds kind of ghetto, but would it work?

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I did my last kitchen floor, maybe 10x12?
It was a total gut job, new plywood sub floor
Old house was from 1905, so the floor fell about 4" over the length
I bought the sheet & dry fitted it
Since cabinets would go on top a tight fit was not required in most areas
I used a heavy scuba tank as a roller

It came out Ok, much better then what was there (12 layers)
For our kitchen floor here (new house) we will hire a pro
I tiled my bathroom

How big is the bathroom?
Is it square or does it have a lot of irregular shapes/angles?

Nate R

Reaction score
I've used a rolling pin in a couple small bathrooms with no problems. I REALLY leaned on it, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks