Viessmann Vitodens 100 B1KA - Config: DHW Pump Run-on Time

Users who are viewing this thread

antonyupward

Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping someone on the forum knows more about the technical CONFIguration and SERVice menu options for the Viessmann Vitodens 100 B1KA than appears in the "Installation and Service Instructions".

I am looking to see if its possible to adjust the primary circulating pump (the one internal to the boiler) "off-delay" after a call for DHW has ended, i.e. the delay before the diverter valve moves the internal heating loop from the DHW heat exchanger back to the external heating loop.

The table on page 71 of the "Installation and Service Instructions" says this delay is "none", but in practice, although the burner goes out 1-2 seconds after end of DHW call, the diverter valve remains in the DHW heat exchanger position for 35-40 seconds (and the little "faucet" icon remains on the display for this long too).

I'd like to change "none" to 2-3 mins... anyone know if either the CONFI or SERV menus offer this possibility?

Background aka TLDR :)
During heating season, when there is a call for heat, and there are several uses of hot water in succession, with 1-3 mins between each one, I get a "plug" of cold water at the hot faucet.

Why? Here's what is happening:

(1) 35-40 seconds after the end of the DHW call, the diverter valve switches the diverter valve back to the heating loop.

(2) The hot water in the heat exchanger, at the DHW set point of 50C / 120F from the last call for DHW, is sent into the heating loop, which has a set-point of at 30-45C / 85-110F (depends on Reset calculation/outside temp).

(3) The return water from the heating loop, which is at a considerable lower temperature than the heating set-point (perhaps 25C / 75F), then comes into the boiler for reheating.

(4) The boiler doesn't immediately fire due the latent heat in the boiler and the lower heating set-point. For a short time - 2-3 mins - there is enough heat in the boiler to raise the heating water to its set-point without firing.

(5) Then, within 2-3 mins there is a subsequent call for DHW, and it takes 30 seconds for the boiler to change the diverter valve back to the DHW heat exchanger, and ramp up the temp in the heat exchanger to the DHW set-point.

(6) While the boiler is ramping up, the water sent to the primary loop side of heat exchanger from the heating loop is at best 30C/110F (the set-point of the heating water), and usually lower.

(7) As a result, a "plug" of 2-6l / 0.5-1.5 US Gallons of essentially unheated cold water (in my area 3-5C / 37 -41C) is sent to the open hot water faucet - since it could pick up almost no heat from the heat exchanger

(8) For the faucet user, the DHW pipe has hot water on either side of this cold "plug", which if they have just stepped into the shower, they experience some time after getting into an initially hot shower!

(9) Complaints for the occupants ensue!

I believe the simplest solution to this would be to keep the diverter valve/primary circulator pump set to DHW for 2-3 mins after a call for DHW ends, not the default 35-40 seconds.

Anyone know how to change this via the SERVice or CONFig menu options on the B1KA?

antonyupward

Reaction score
Thanks @fitter30 - yes as mentioned in the OP I have the Installation and Service Manual... and I have a technical specifications document and the complete parts list.

The Installation and Service Manual does provide instructions on how to set several of the CONFig and SERVice parameters - for example to change the heating curve - but there are many many more possible parameters that are not explained in that document (nor anywhere else I've found so far).

I'm guessing a lot of them a factory set and you wouldn't want anyone in the field - technician nor home owner - messing with them... and this is likely the case with the parameter I want to change... So the document I'm looking for is likely to be entitled Configuration Manual or some such.

Thanks again

P.S. I should say I did talk to my local Viessman technical contact (someone employed by Viessman), before posting. Unfortunately, he wasn't interested in either my problem as a customer, nor doing the research with HQ in Germany to figure out a solution.

It's odd because I would have thought "crazy" customer's making "strange" requests are a key way any company would find out what possibilities there may be to improve the product! Usually, German companies are pretty good at that in my experience - Miele for example.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks