vibrating water pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

bluehouse122

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem that started a few days ago. Every few minutes, our toilet downstairs does this. At the same time, the pipes in the basement that connect to the hot water heater and to the boiler do this. In addition, whenever someone takes a shower (upstairs), towards the beginning of the shower we start hearing vibrating in the pipes. The sound gets louder for a few seconds, and then dies down and goes away, and does not start again for the remainder of that person's shower. Does anyone have any idea what this is and what to do to fix it?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Check to see if you have a pressure reducing valve on your main incoming water line.
If there is a PRV then listen to see if the noise is coming from there.
If this is where the noise is coming from then it needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
This is what it may look like.

Attachments

• Pressure-Regulator-1.jpg
    Pressure-Regulator-1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 210
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks