Vibrating pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Iceman_pdx

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Newbie here. Need help. Issue has been going on so long I forgot most of it, but I’ll skip to the ending. Turning fixtures on and the whole house vibrates, I mean violently the copper pipes slamming. Not always and that’s part of the problem. If I turn my water on, or shower, or flush toilet it’s not been doing it lately. But if I turn the bathtub on in the 2nd bath every pipe in house is slamming cold or hot. If I turn on the outside water lines fully open the piping slams, and the spiciest are in a T before the PRV. So here I am now I have the gauge on the cold water laundry line fully open and it reads just above 100#. If I turn the cold water sink line on it drops to 90. If I flush the toilet by itself it drops to 45 if I turn sink & bath on drops to 35. I’ve messed with the PRV but since put it back,I adjusted it cause I put gauge fitting on outside water lines before I noticed they were pipes ahead of the PRV. Anyways I just turned bath on, no noise and dropped to 40, but when I flushed the toilet, the piping is slamming and the gauge is bouncing all over the place 0 to 100 just all over. Help please. Go figure this is one nasty crawl to get to get to the valve. I’m HVAC/R by trade. Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Sounds like the PRV went bad. Some PRV's have a rebuilt kit avaialble. Is there a back flow preventer anywhere, usually for an irrigation system? Vibrations can be caused by a loose or disintegrating washers in valves, sometimes the toilet fill valve. But since it seems the whole house the only thing common is the PRV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks