Vibrating pipes when toilet flushes

Users who are viewing this thread

rsp101

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a complete novice in DIY and all the mechanics of house renovation. I have been having problems for some time now when I flush either of the two toilets in my appartment. The pipes vibrate very loudly, for up to five minutes which is not only unpleasant for us, but probably also for the connected flats. If I turn on the tap, hot or cold, it seems to postpone the vibrating temporarily, but does not stop it. All our water pipes are hidden behind the walls and as I live in block of flats, I'm not sure who is responsible for fixing the problem. The main water valves are situated outside of my apartment.

Please can you advise how I could resolve this problem. Should I ask the building managers to look into it, or is it my responsibility? Do I need a plumber or is there anything I could do myself?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Often, this is the shutoff valve in the wall - the washer gets old and stiff then vibrates like a tuba when water flows by. It is usually simple to replace. If not that, then the toilet fill valve. It would be the manager's responsibility to replace. Parts are cheap - probably less than $20 to replace the fill valve, shutoff, and a new supply hose. Actual installation usually is easy, but nothing is guaranteed.

Construct30

Reaction score
You have to ask the building manager, it could mean major trouble if a novice causes a problem in an apartment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks