vibrating pipes..NOT Hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

dmorra62

Reaction score
Hey people! Try this one on for size...Just replaced dishwasher. everything smooth. connected electrical, waste, water feed. started her up, ran like a charm. 4 days later (dozen or so washes) loaded her up hit the button and the water feed pipes start shuddering loudly. wont stop unless I cancel wash OR I turn on the hot water in sink faucet for a split second...then it stops. Happens everytime I do a Load now. Whats the deal? figure its pressure or something. Old washer ran for 14 years not a sound.

thanks doug

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
possible float valve problem? what's the water pressure to the house? Is there a check valve & expansion tank after the water meter or water heater?

Racer814

Reaction score
if the dishwasher is being fed by a compression type stop valve, the washer may be "fluttering"..that can be fixed

if not, try a in line hammer arrester on the water line to the DW

dmorra62

Reaction score
Randyj said:
possible float valve problem? what's the water pressure to the house? Is there a check valve & expansion tank after the water meter or water heater?

HAve all the check valves and expansion. Pressure set to 70lbs. Don't have any problems in the house with ANY type of noise/viration for 14 years. Nothing changed in the configuration.
It has to be the washer inlet valve restricting flow. but why only on this washer and not on previous and why does vibration go away when faucet is turned on. don't even have to turn it on long a second or two clears the vibration. and then it fills fine.

thanks

dmorra62

Reaction score
Racer814 said:
if the dishwasher is being fed by a compression type stop valve, the washer may be "fluttering"..that can be fixed

if not, try a in line hammer arrester on the water line to the DW

No compression just weltrol pressure tank at 70lbs. been like this for 14 years.
I think hammer arrestor is designed for the opposite of what is happening. hammer is for when water is shut off at a valve and the pipes shakes due to hard stop from pressure.

In my case the pipes shake when th water starts to flow and continues until flow stops.

thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had a customer with the same problem, we put in an inline hammer arrestor and that helped.

Also make sure the shutoff is fully open.

dmorra62

Reaction score
Terry said:
I had a customer with the same problem, we put in an inline hammer arrestor and that helped.

Also make sure the shutoff is fully open.

Doen't matter what position shutoff is at..tried all positions. Why after 4 days no problem then it started? Could the inlet valve solenoid be clogged or not opening all the way? I did take it off and blew through it. seemed clear. no restriction. however i blew through the out port. i could not blow it out the way the water goes in because the solenoid was in closed position (disconnected from electric)

the water feed is a 3\8" flex copper tubing with compression fitting (flared with burrel?) how to put hammer in line?

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
dmora.... I had the same problem with a toilet. I swapped out the fill valve with a different type which stopped the noise which sounded like an air horn unless I opened a faucet until the tank filled and the valve shut off the water flow. That logically tells me that there was a difference in the force against the hickey thingy that stops the water flow. It appears to me that this is similar to your problem. I'd bet three nickles that if you lower your water pressure to about 45 psi that your problem will go away. Otherwise you might have to swap out that solenoid with one which is stronger to overcome the line pressure easier and faster. There is a couple of things called inertia and momentum which have to be overcome...water (an object) in motion so to speak has more force than an object sitting still (hold a 5 lb weight in your hand then try to stop it from moving when dropped 50 ft and you'll understand what I'm talking about).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks