Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Cycle Stop Valve was introduced in 1993 to replace VFD controls. The CSV can also replace big pressure tanks, eliminates water hammer, and delivers constant pressure to the system.

Information

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Why you don’t hear from people with Cycle Stop Valves

People don’t want to worry about their water systems. They just want water to come out of the faucet when a tap is opened. Cycling on and off from old style pressure tank systems will destroy pumps, motors, capacitors, relays, pressure switches, as well as cause pressure fluctuations and water hammer. Variable speed pump systems, also known, as Constant Pressure Pumps or VFD’s are expensive, troublesome, and short lived by design. People with these types of pump systems are constantly looking for answers to their problems. The Cycle Stop Valve or CSV is the answer to these problems. Once a person installs a CSV, their problems go away, and they rarely think about their water system again.

I sometimes check back with customers a few years after they install a CSV. “No news is good news.” “Haven’t even been back in the well house.” “Water always comes out when I open a faucet, so I haven’t thought about it again.” These are some of the things I hear from CSV customers.

The following is a response from a customer who had many problems before switching to a Cycle Stop Valve. When you hear someone say they have decided to install a CSV, you may never hear from them again. No news really is good news. After installing a CSV, people never worry about their water system again and are able to focus on the problems of everyday life.

Hi Greg
Just looking back at some old emails and came across yours. Just wanted to
see how things are working after the passage of some time?
Thanks
Cary

Cary,

Thanks for the check back! Hope all is "well" with you! LOL

The CSV solution brought me back to the good old American know-how of KISS! After fussing with the complex Grundfos VFD, your CSV was a simple, successful and elegant solution.

Proof of this is that after the CSV installation and adjustment, we have enjoyed dependable constant pressure water for over the last three years without any equipment monitoring, as it is not needed!

Also, I feel that our Grundfos 15SQE10-250 well pump now has an extended life expectancy with the CSV as opposed to with the Grundfos CU301 VFD.

Since the Grundfos CU301 failed early after installation, I did not take any usage measurements for comparisons. However, I feel that it has saved energy and maintenance efforts on my part. When the Grundfos pump does eventually fail, I will consult with you as to a better standard well pump and HP sized solution for my single well combined domestic and water source heat pump system.

By the way, I occasionally follow your suggestions on the web with solving other well users needs and find them to be quite informative and helpful. I also agree that most product manufacturers are producing lesser quality for greater profits.

As an example, we bought 4 new upper range brand name kitchen appliances three years ago and everyone has since failed in some capacity with replacement parts unavailable or not redesigned to correct original problems. In contrast, I have used for 31 years my John Deere 212 lawn & garden tractor that still cuts grass great and JD still stocks all the parts!

America used to manufacture solid long lasting products with solid service. Thanks Cary for keeping the faith alive with CSV!

Take care and keep up the great work!

Feel free to post my email. Great product and company that stands behind its products!

Happy CSV fan,
Greg

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pump and Motor tested with CSV

The following pictures are of an impeller/diffuser, and motor thrust bearing from a 2 HP submersible pump. This was an accelerated test to see how Cycle Stop Valves affect pumps and motors. This pump was actually in the well for over 12 years. During that 12 years, we accelerated the work on the system to simulate a pump system with over 30 years of service.

This pump ran for several years at only 1 GPM. It also ran for several years at varied flow rates from 2 to 25 GPM. All of this time it also supplied two houses with a pressure tank than only held 2.5 gallons of water. So it was also allowed to cycle on and off for intermittent demands. In 12 years we did everything we could think of to try and destroy this pump.

The pump was finally removed for inspection and the following was observed. There is absolutely no down thrust, upthrust, or radial damage to the impeller, diffuser, shaft, or bushings in the pump. The thrust bearing in the motor still looks like brand new, and the motor windings tested and looked perfect.

As you can see from these pictures, the wearable parts of the pump and motor still look perfectly new. There are many thousands more pumps that have lasted this long or longer using a CSV. This particular one we watched everyday and subjected it to the worst possible conditions for over 12 years. Anyone who thinks a Cycle Stop Valve can damage a pump or motor in anyway, should look very closely at these pictures.

I should also say that previously the average life of a pump in this test well was less than 2 years. This CSV made this pump last 600% longer than the average, and it would still be working today if I had not just wanted to see what it looked like.

Attachments

• imp crop2.jpg
    imp crop2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 6,897
  • bear crop.jpg
    bear crop.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 6,818

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My how time flies! It has been almost 12 years since this thread was started and 28 years since the first Cycle Stop Valves were installed. Most of the pumps installed with CSV's 28 years ago are still working. So, we still can't say how much longer a CSV makes pumps last, but it is already several times longer than normal. It is not uncommon for pumps to last 50+ years when controlled by the old, but similar Aqua Genie and Hydroservant valves that were discontinued years ago. The pump companies that made those old style valves did not discontinue them because of problems, but rather because they made pumps last too long. The CSV has patented improvements over those old valves that will make pumps last even longer.

I always thought if you "built a better mousetrap, people would beat a path to your door". I have learned if you make a mousetrap so well it would make mice extinct, the mousetrap industry will do everything they can to put you out of business, as there is a lot of money in mousetraps. The pump industry is no different. They build pumps to last an average of seven years, and do not like anything that alters their planned obsolescence and makes pumps last longer. The pump manufacturers are pushing variable speed pumps (VFD's), trying to emulate the strong constant pressure control of a CSV with something that doesn't make the pump last longer. VFD's are expensive, don't last long, and don't extend the life of pumps like a CSV will do.

CSV's have been delivering strong constant pressure, making pumps last longer, and use smaller pressure tanks for over 28 years so far. Any pump installer who still doesn't understand how good a CSV is for pumps, is just not very smart.

I am a third generation driller/pump installer. My granddaughter will be the third generation to sell Cycle Stop Valves. I hope she finds and adds to this thread in another 20-30 years. I will be long gone by then. But I bet some of those first Cycle Stop Valve systems will still be working. :)

Third gen CSV girl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks