Vet my Venting please? IPC code

Users who are viewing this thread

RoseHawke

Reaction score
I've struggled with this for several days now. When you wake up at 3 in the morning with vent patterns running through your head, Something Is Wrong. I think I've got it figured out, but if not, now is the time to find out, not after it's done.

That one long run is going to the washing machine. Due to its length, I'm considering just venting that through the roof although I'd rather not put another hole in the roof if at all possible, especially since this is also just off my deck.

If this is okay, not okay, totally wrong or What were you thinking?!? I would appreciate any help. Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't wet vent the kitchen sink over the shower drain. Too many fixture units on the sink for that to work as a vent. Only "1 and 2 fixture unit" items can wet vent.
The kitchen sink is a "3 fixture unit" fixture.
Doing so will siphon the p-trap on the shower.
Run the kitchen separate from the shower, and tie those vents together at 42" from the floor.

The shower needs 2" waste with 2" trap
The kitchen sink needs 2" waste with 1.5" trap

The "overhead" venting is fine with 1.5" for the washer, sink and shower.

RoseHawke

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! I suspected as much with that shower vent/drain. Oh, well. Would the following be more acceptable? I got lazy, by the way and didn't make the pipe to scale in the models. All the green is 2", all the red is 1.5", and the blue 2.5". That gold represents a suspended concrete slab (old porch that's been enclosed) which means the tailpiece on the shower will have to be rather long, just guesstimating at least 12." Is a long tailpiece likely to create a problem with drainage?

ETA: The 2" is referring just to the size of the pipe, not the size of the traps by the way. 1.5" for the kitchen sink trap. Gotcha :).

Last edited by a moderator:

RoseHawke

Reaction score
Excellent :D!

Yes, Google Sketchup. I've piddled with it quite a bit so I'm moderately decent with it, although I don't mess with it often enough to learn all the little tricks and everything it can do. I've found it invaluable for designing things like simple cabinets so I can work out the little problems up front before I take a saw to a piece of wood.

First time I've done a plumbing layout with it though!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
And WHERE did/do you find 2.5" drain OR vent pipe and fittings? Usually that size is only in drawings by mechanical engineers who do not know any better.

RoseHawke

Reaction score
I don't actually. It wasn't until later that I said "hmmmm." It'll be 2" rather. This stack will be probably within 10' of the main 4" cast iron stack but in an effort not to have runs of PVC all over the attic it just seemed best to go ahead and do an auxiliary.

Last edited:

johncollins

Reaction score
I am looking at my code book and a kitchen sink in 2 fixture units and as long as you upsize the drain for the shower and the kitchen sink to 2 1/2 or 3" it would be legal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks