Very Old Grohe Hand-Held Shower Mount/Wall Union

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
My parents have a 20 yo Grohe hand-held shower that has the mounting bracket attached directly to the tile wall. There is no shower arm, and the plastic mount/wall union has sprung a pin-hole leak. There seems to be a set screw and a phillips screw holding this thing together at the bottom of the mount. I didn't bring my metrical allen wrenches, so I didn't unscrew the set screw. I removed the phillips screw and the top of the mount came off, which allowed me to see the pin-hole leak inside.

Does anyone know how to remove this old leaky thing? I looked on the web for a picture, but couldn't find anything like it. I'd like to install a shower arm and a basic hand-held shower arm mount.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When I've called Grohe, they've been helpful. But, someone said that they'd been bought out sometime last year, so all bets are off. Still worth a try. While I'm guilty of it, too, it really pays to stash away the documentation on these things. Course, finding it after 20-years may be a major problem, too!

index.php

index.php

The end cap pops off and then a phillips screw is what holes it to the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiko

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim.

What I'd really like to know is how this armless mount attaches to the shower riser pipe. Does it simply unscrew or is there some kind of quick disconnect, like it has for the hose?

Not having a model number, I don't think Grohe could help me even if they were still in business.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Grohe is still around, but is now owned by someone else...there's a lot of money in a brand name...I don't think it's going away. IT only costs a bit of time...call them, can't hurt.

If you post a picture, it may be obvious to someone who has seen that one before. Get close, but figure out how to use your camera's macro function first so it's in focus!

Kiko

Reaction score
I called Grohe, and the tech support guy said he had never heard of any wall union/mount that had a set screw. So, I figured I was on my own here. I raided my bicycle tool box for a 3 mm allen wrench. Removing the set screw, which was pretty well frozen, was the key to the whole thing. Once I removed it, I was able to pull the entire mount out, which revealed a fitting that sported a rubber o-ring.

I unscrewed this fitting from a nipple that was also frozen. I bought a set of nipple extractors from Home D, as well as a shower arm and some teflon tape. I removed the nipple and screwed in the shower arm. I then installed the new WaterPik my mother had bought. Everything turned out great!

Here are pics of the old, leaky Grohe and the new WaterPik:

Grohe-1- reduced.jpg

WaterPik - 2 - reduced.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks