Very low water pressure in new kitchen faucet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlindner999

Reaction score
I installed a brand new kitchen faucet. I've never done it before. My water pressure now is extremely low - just a strong dribble. The water pressure was never an issue with the old faucet. What did I do wrong? It's so low that it's very doubtful the issue is due to a pressure regulator or restrictor within the faucet itself. I replaced the lines with brand new lines as well. They are tight and not leaking.

The brand is American Standard. I think the model is a Fairbury from Home Depot.

as-fairbury-kitchen-faucet.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If the water is restricted for just hot or just cold, it could be something before the faucet assembly. Since both hot and cold are affected for you, it has to be part of the faucet assembly including the aerator.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
When installing a new faucet, just before you turn the water back on, you have to remove the aerator, then flush the lines.
So now you have to check the aerator, and if clogged, clean it.
If that doesn't solve your problem, you could have a clogged angle stops and supply lines under the sink.

Dlindner999

Reaction score
Both hot and cold are equally low. Could this be caused by the lines being installed too tightly? I cranked down each connection pretty dang tight.

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both hot and cold are equally low. Could this be caused by the lines being installed too tightly? I cranked down each connection pretty dang tight.

Check the aerator like the others said. No need to go to the more complicated things first. Is this a pull out faucet or fixed head?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A common mistake people make on the hose connections to a faucet is to use tape on the joint. They do NOT need it, and it can not only be a source of leaks, but can also end up restricting flow. So, if you have tape on those joints, take it out and try again.

The other major common issues are debris in the aerator or the shutoff valves either not being fully opened, or if they have washers (not 1/4-turn), their washer could be partially blocking the flow if it broke up. A less common issue is a sticking diverter, assuming your system has a spray. All modern kitchen faucets are flow restricted, so depending on how old the one you replaced, it could have a lot less flow.

Joe McHale

Reaction score
I installed a brand new kitchen faucet. I've never done it before. My water pressure now is extremely low - just a stong dribble. The water pressure was never an issue with the old faucet. What did I do wrong? It's so low that it's very doubtful the issue is due to a pressure regulator or restrictor within the faucet itself. I replaced the lines with brand new lines as well. They are tight and not leaking.

The brand is American Standard. I think the model is a Fairbury from Home Depot.

I had the same exact problem. Did you end up getting this fixed? If so, what was the solution?
I did put plummers tape and pipe dope on the connection between the on/off valve and hose... do you think that's blocking water from flowing properly?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remove the hand spray from the hose and see if you get good water pressure from that. If so, it's the aerator. Either remove and clean it, or replace it.
I had the same exact problem. Did you end up getting this fixed? If so, what was the solution?
I did put plummers tape and pipe dope on the connection between the on/off valve and hose... do you think that's blocking water from flowing properly?
follow same instructions

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks