Very low PH well water, options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wesley Mansfield

Reaction score
Hi all, I just had my water tested and came up with an extremely low PH of 4.9 I knew the water was acidic since I had tested it myself, but this confirms my suspicions. Hardness is 51 ppm, TDS 400 ppm.

With PH that low, most places seem to be suggesting a soda ash injection system. If thats my only option than I guess I have to come to terms with that, but I hate the idea of sticking a system that sounds like it requires a lot of maintenance/tweaking and is fairly expensive to maintain as parts require replacement. Plus from what I read soda ash is a little dangerous to handle.

Would putting an upsized acid neutralizer in work? the Idea would be to increase contact time with the calcite to increase PH to somewhat acceptable levels. Am I going to be burning through calcite with that low of a PH? I'm also guessing this would require the addition of a softener.

My house only has PVC and CPVC plumbing and all the appliances have plastic or SS internals, so really the acidic water is not really hurting anything. The only real issue is that we are getting a gray scum on our bathtub, which I assume is because of the hard water? not sure on that one. If it were not for the gray scum I would just put in a RO system for drinking water and laugh all the way to the bank.

Any thoughts or advice would be very appreciated.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
For liability reasons most companies are correct in recommending soda ash injection systems since it is the industry standard treatment for your water condition. I would like to see your entire water report.

Use this calculator to get a better idea of your waters LSI https://www.lenntech.com/calculators/langelier/index/langelier.htm
A larger calcite/magnesium system may work but you will likely need a softener afterwards.

Wesley Mansfield

Reaction score
HI there, thank for the reply, I am currently in the process of getting a full lab test done. Do any of you have a lab you like to use for water tests?

The preliminary test results I posted were done by a company in the process of specking out their recommended system.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks