Very hot water as soon as taps turned on

Users who are viewing this thread

chinto

Reaction score
Pull the cartridge out and see what it looks like.

Had an opportunity to pull it apart last night. Here are some pics, any thoughts on what I should do next? I am still not sure of the make/model, so if anyone can offer opinion on that as well I would appreciate it:

GEDC1275.jpg

GEDC1276.jpg

GEDC1277.jpg

GEDC1278.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I was wrong on the Price Pfister!:eek:

It is a Kohler valve. K-304 :D

When you turn it on the hot comes on full blast then as you continue to turn it the water getts cooler is that what is going on?

If so that disc with the 2 slots is about 180 degrees out of position from where it should be.

Put it back together with the disc rotated 180 degrees and the cold should come on full first the hot should slowly add and the cold should taper to less and less finally ending at full hot..

This link is very close to your valve and parts breakdowns are shown...
K-304 valve and parts links

Last edited:

chinto

Reaction score
good thing I have 2 showers in the house eh? Taking me forever to get around to trying to figure this out. Although, it would probably be fixed already if i only had the one shower.

I was wrong on the Price Pfister!:eek:

It is a Kohler valve. K-304 :D

When you turn it on the hot comes on full blast then as you continue to turn it the water getts cooler is that what is going on?]

Not quite. What happens, is when you turn it on (even just a little bit) you get a blast of hot water, until the cold water starts flowing.

I think it has to do with the 2 small springs with the boots over them.

GEDC1277.jpg

they don't seem to be releasing out far enough. It's like they get stuck. Would this cause the described problem.

Now tha I know it's a kohler, I can find a local dealer for parts. I think maybe I just need a new cartridge or something.

Dano360

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like you might need some ' water hammer arrestors'. You can find them at Home Depot and they arent that bad to install. Are the water lines for your shower easily accessable? You might also want to try adjusting the scald proof ring on your handle. (check with your installation instructions for the taps)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks