Very high TDS post-softner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Duke30

Reaction score
Hey all,

Hoping someone here can offer some not-interested-in-selling-me-new-stuff advice!:)

We recently moved here.

So, coming into the house, our TDS is in the 600 range.

Once it goes through the softener, it is up in the 1000 range.

Is this normal?

Any advice VERY welcome!:)

Thanks!

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The tds should not drop by 500 ppm. :)

I assume you mean the tds is going up to 1000. TDS meters use the waters conductivity to estimate the tds. This is not very accurate but it is close enough. Sertain minerals have a higher ability to conduct electricity in water. A softener exchanges more sodium that the calcium/magnesium it removes. So yes, a raise in tds on a meter is normal to see.

Duke30

Reaction score
Hey!

Ah, sorry, I think my finger missed a zero!:) It is indeed 1000.

Okay, thanks for the info... that just seemed SO high, although I have zero understanding of it so that means nothing:) Just didn't know if that kind of jump was reasonable or not. Also, I believe that, when we first moved in, it was in the 600 range coming out of the softener, and it is only in the last few months that it jumped. Is that possible?

Sorry I am not giving a lot of good information here!:(

Reach4

Reaction score
Compare the TDS of the softened water the next morning after a regeneration with the TDS of the softened water a day or two before you expect your next regen. If the TDS is much higher after a recent regeneration, there may be something you could do about that.

For example, if the TDS drops to 700 several days after a regen vs the 1000 earlier, then increasing the rinse time should help that.

Duke30

Reaction score
Hmmm, okay, I'll do that. Okay, thanks... have someone advising me here, but he sells the things and just seems a little bit evasive, you know?

Thanks so much!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Post a picture of your existing system. If it is a good system, it might be worth keeping around for another 20 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks